• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

17 y/o charged with two felonies

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

jacksonville

I live in Maine.

One of my best friends has recently been charged as a juvenile with two felonies. One charge is for burglary and the other is for theft of a firearm.
Basically, this is the case the police have. The 17 year old has no criminal record other than two speeding tickets, and he was an accomplice in the crime. The other person involved is a 19 year old boy who has been in trouble multiple times and was charged back in July for possesion of illegal substances, driving with alcohol in the car, being in possession of a concealed weapon, and having a loaded handgun in his vehicle. He was arrested that night and bailed out. Shortly afterwards, he was charged with providing a place for minors to consume alcohol and consumtion and possesion of alcohol.

Now, I have three questions.
He had a lifelong dream of becoming a US Marine when he turned 18 (which will be in late April), but when he was summonsed with these, he lost all faith.
However, a family friend of his has recently said that she had a friend who did the same thing, and was charged as a juvenile, however, her friend supposedly asked the judge to be sent to the Marines as punishment, in her words, "to straighten him out". Honestly, to me, this sounds completely ridiculous, especially because he is being charged with two felonies and one is theft of a firearm.
So my first question is, is that even a possibility? Being sent to the Marines as punishment for such a severe charge?

Second, I was wondering how likely it is that his charges will carry over to his "adult record" or whatnot. That is a very big fear because he is so close to turning 18, however, because he was 17 when the crimes were committed (in December), what are the chances of it carrying over?

Third, and last, if he is convicted, it will be after he turns 18. (The court date isn't until mid-May.) I looked up the local juvenile center on the Maine.gov website (the one in Charleston, Maine) and I was wondering if because he'll be 18, will they still send him there if he is charged with time in juvenile hall?

thanks.

Last edited:

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">