• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

17 year old college student

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

pjamas

What is the name of your state? Oregon
I am 17 and a sophmore in college. a couple grades were skipped. I am currently living in the dorms, but there are not upper classmen dorms available so i will need to move into an apartment next fall. I won't be 18 for a month after school begins. Can a minor rent an apartment with a cosignature from a parent? once I turn 18 do i need to change anything on the lease?

BelizeBreeze

If your parents will co sign and the lessor agrees, then that's it. You don't have to change anything and in fact, can't change the lease until it either expires or the lessor agrees.

GaAtty

Actually, the apartment owner would not be smart to let you rent in your name, even with a co-signer, because you would not be legally responsible until you are 18, and they cannot hold you responsible for anything under the lease. Even after you turn 18 you have a "loophole" in that the contract is unenforceable unless you do what is called "reaffrim" it after you are 18. If they will let you do it, however, then do so. However, since you can't have any credit yet, I don't think anyone will lease to you and I think you will have to get it your parent's name. I had do that for my kids when they were in college, it is a routine thing so don't think it is directed against you.

Quincunx

I started college earlier than you. I lived in the dorms except the last year, and all that happened was my Uncle came with me and signed a lease. I guess it's illegal, but just don't do anything stupid.

Q

Quincunx

Addendum:

I just read your other posts about your 'friend' and your 'research paper'. Let me give you some very, very, very sage advice to pass on to your 'friend' or put in your 'research paper'.

If she runs away from her family, and tries to start a new life, she is making a grave mistake. This thing called the FAFSA, I'm sure you've heard of it. Well, you need parents' tax forms to complete it. Parents are required to give them out. Get where I am going with this?

Q

Happy Trails

Quincunx said:
Addendum:

I just read your other posts about your 'friend' and your 'research paper'. Let me give you some very, very, very sage advice to pass on to your 'friend' or put in your 'research paper'.

If she runs away from her family, and tries to start a new life, she is making a grave mistake. This thing called the FAFSA, I'm sure you've heard of it. Well, you need parents' tax forms to complete it. Parents are required to give them out. Get where I am going with this?

Q
This was good advice, right up until the statement in bold above.

I just want to clarify that the Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA) requires the parent's income; the parent's are NOT required to fill it out (many refuse for various reasons).

However, if the student wants to be eligible for an unsubsidized Stafford loan (a student loan), and possibly a subsidized Stafford loan, Perkins loan, and Pell grant, as well as institutional aid, the parents that refuse to fill out the FAFSA, will prevent the student from getting that aid.

So unless the student has a way of paying for their own education, it is a good idea NOT to burn any bridges.

The advice was good and more youth need to be aware of this. I just wanted to clarify where you were going with your statement.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">