• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

17 year old daughter got a "super speeder" in Georiga - HELP

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

rekellee

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Georgia - Cobb County

My 17 year got a ticket this morning - going 34 mph over the speed limit (79mph in a 45mph). She has a clean driving record and is (normally) a very responsible teenager. She says she will automatically lose her license for 6 months and will be unable to drive to school and/or work. Is there any hope in hiring an attorney to try to get her out of the 6 months suspensions of license?? She is very upset and she will be paying the ticket from the money she receives from working. I just want to know if there is any hope in getting the suspension part revoked?? Please help**************. Upset with fast driving daughter...Momma: mad:

Last edited:

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney

My 17 year got a ticket this morning - going 34 mph over the speed limit (79mph in a 45mph). She has a clean driving record and is (normally) a very responsible teenager. She says she will automatically lose her license for 6 months and will be unable to drive to school and/or work. Is there any hope in hiring an attorney to try to get her out of the 6 months suspensions of license?? She is very upset and she will be paying the ticket from the money she receives from working. I just want to know if there is any hope in getting the suspension part revoked?? Please help**************. Upset with fast driving daughter...Momma: mad:
34 over? :eek::mad:

Why would you want her to NOT lose her license? :mad::eek:

Silverplum

http://www.safespeedsgeorgia.org/

There's a FAQ near the bottom of the page.

sandyclaus

Georgia speeding ticket points are calculated based on the number of miles per hour you were exceeding the posted speed limit. Two points are given for speeding violations that are 15 to 18 mph above the posted limit, three points for speeds between 19 and 23 mph, four points for drivers going 24 to 33 mph over the speed limit, and six points for speeds more than 33 mph above the posted limit.

The Department of Driver Services will automatically suspend your license if you accumulate 15 points over a two-year period. Drivers under the age of 21 can have an automatic suspension if they are assessed four points within twelve months. This means that drivers under the age of 21 may automatically lose their license if they are convicted of super speeding.

So, NO. Since your daughter got 6 points added to her license in one fell swoop, there is NO chance of the suspension being lifted.

Sounds like your daughter needs to learn the difference between a right and a privilege. She has a RIGHT to go where she wants. However, her driving PRIVILEGES aren't going to be reinstated in the next 6 months. I suggest that she explore other options for getting around, such as public transportation or asking friends to get her where she needs to go.

Funny that you're trying to get her out of the suspension part of the penalty, but haven't even taken issue with the increased fines. The Georgia Super Speeder Law fines drivers whose speed exceeds 84 mph (or 74 mph on a two-lane road) an additional $200 for the violation. This amount is surcharged from the State of Georgia and is in addition to the fines charged by the Court, which can vary by the jurisdiction and can be as high as $1,000.00. I sure hope that you are making HER pay off the extra fines for her violation.

TheGeekess

Keeper of the Kraken

Georgia speeding ticket points are calculated based on the number of miles per hour you were exceeding the posted speed limit. Two points are given for speeding violations that are 15 to 18 mph above the posted limit, three points for speeds between 19 and 23 mph, four points for drivers going 24 to 33 mph over the speed limit, and six points for speeds more than 33 mph above the posted limit.

The Department of Driver Services will automatically suspend your license if you accumulate 15 points over a two-year period. Drivers under the age of 21 can have an automatic suspension if they are assessed four points within twelve months. This means that drivers under the age of 21 may automatically lose their license if they are convicted of super speeding.

So, NO. Since your daughter got 6 points added to her license in one fell swoop, there is NO chance of the suspension being lifted.

Sounds like your daughter needs to learn the difference between a right and a privilege. She has a RIGHT to go where she wants. However, her driving PRIVILEGES aren't going to be reinstated in the next 6 months. I suggest that she explore other options for getting around, such as public transportation or asking friends to get her where she needs to go.

Funny that you're trying to get her out of the suspension part of the penalty, but haven't even taken issue with the increased fines. The Georgia Super Speeder Law fines drivers whose speed exceeds 84 mph (or 74 mph on a two-lane road) an additional $200 for the violation. This amount is surcharged from the State of Georgia and is in addition to the fines charged by the Court, which can vary by the jurisdiction and can be as high as $1,000.00. I sure hope that you are making HER pay off the extra fines for her violation.
We don't know if Princess was on a 2 lane or not, but it's très d'une manière amusante if she were. :cool:

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
We don't know if Princess was on a 2 lane or not, but it's très d'une manière amusante if she were. :cool:
That's one of the things that triggers the Super Speeder letter. ;)
The other thing wouldn't apply as she wasn't cited for 85+

OHRoadwarrior

You could hire a lawyer, who will likely cost her as much as the fines, to attempt a charge reduction. Whether a lawyer will be successful is questionable, due to her age. On the other side of the issue "Georgia’s trauma care hospital system" appreciates her contribution to emergency care for the uninsured involved in accidents.

stealth2

Under the Radar Member
Uuuummm... if this was MY kid? Keys and license would be in my hand,and she would not be driving. No matter what the law said.

Silverplum

Uuuummm... if this was MY kid? Keys and license would be in my hand,and she would not be driving. No matter what the law said.
I'm in perfect agreement with you.

Apparently, not enough of Georgia's parents were in agreement. Now there's a big "mean" law with big "mean" punishment. Good. :cool:

Proserpina

Apparently, not enough of Georgia's parents were in agreement. Now there's a big "mean" law with big "mean" punishment. Good. :cool:

Triple agreement here.

Mean law? Mean punishment?

Would these parents rather see their children on a slab in the morgue? Perhaps serving a sentence for vehicular homicide?

The mind boggles.

stealth2

Under the Radar Member

And really... Momma :mad:? Not if Momma wants to get kiddo off. That is Momma wanting to make her own life easier.

Kiddo needs to learn there are consequences to her actions. Riding the bus to school. Putting Momma out if kiddo can convince her to drive kiddo to school. Losing her job. Pissing Momma off even more by Momma having to drive her to work AND pick her up.

TheGeekess

Keeper of the Kraken

EVERYBODY in Georgia drives that way. At least those in Hotlanta and the ones that travel through Bama. :cool:

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">