• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

17 year old leaving home

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

eshields1014

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Oregon

I will try to be as detailed and short as possible

My brother who is 17 graduates at the end of this month needs to leave home, my mother is emotionally and verbal abusive to him, as she was to me. When she did this to me I was 18 and able to move out. He has 3 more months. I can get into details if needed. Most people say to stay but he refuses and have been there my self I can't blame him.

She is what we call "crazy smart" she its crazy, but she knows the fine lines in which she cannot cross. He got DHS involved and due to the fact she is causing no physical harm there is nothing they can really do for him. DHS talked to me and said it would be a good idea for him to stay with me but she couldnt force anything and our mother has no idea i am involved in any of this. I have not spoken to her in over 5 years

In our state, if the mother knows where the child is I was told by an officer that she cannot file a runaway report.

My brother was staying with the GF family but they can't really take anymore of her craziness and would like him to stay with us until he is 18 then he can go live with them no problem because there is nothing she can do.

I have read several places online that it is NOT illegal to run away in Oregon. However my question is

If he comes to stay with us, she the mother WILL NOT know he is with us, she doesnt have my address, my phone anything and I'd like to keep it that way. I assume she would file a runaway report. If he was to get picked up while out and about the worst the cop could do it take him back to her house?
Is there anything we can do here? once explaining the situation to a cop would they not leave him in my care since he isn't in harm and is doing nothing wrong and is almost 18. If he was taken back to her house, he would just leave again ...

emancipation as this point would take to long and they require a lot.

I tired to call my local police department but the dispatch lady wanted his address and I do not want to give out any information at this point.

Not sure what to do here or what will happen if he was to come live with us. Love to speak to a local officer but doesn't seem that I am going to get to one.

CdwJava

My brother who is 17 graduates at the end of this month needs to leave home
To be correct, he does not NEED to leave home, he WANTS to leave home.

In our state, if the mother knows where the child is I was told by an officer that she cannot file a runaway report.
Not necessarily true. But, even if they might not be able to make a MISSING report, they can certainly stand by and help mom take custody of her child. And YOU could find yourself in trouble if you shelter or conceal a minor child from the lawful guardian.

When he is 18 he can walk out the front door with whatever mom lets him take with him, and that will be that.

If he comes to stay with us, she the mother WILL NOT know he is with us, she doesnt have my address, my phone anything and I'd like to keep it that way. I assume she would file a runaway report. If he was to get picked up while out and about the worst the cop could do it take him back to her house?
The worst thing that could probably happen is he goes back home and YOU go to jail for concealing him. Understand that even if he is not discovered until age 18 YOUR crime can still be pursued.

Best to let him remain where he is until age 18.

Is there anything we can do here? once explaining the situation to a cop would they not leave him in my care since he isn't in harm and is doing nothing wrong and is almost 18. If he was taken back to her house, he would just leave again ...
If there is sufficient problems, the officer can call child services. He might also just return the child home. he might also arrest you for concealing him or contributing to his delinquency. What he would NOT be able to lawfully do is allow him to remain there if mom wants him home.

eshields1014

cps will do nothing

because there is no physical abuse. he will not stay there, afraid to see where he may end up if he is not with us. worse cause i suppose he has to say that is is with us so that he is not a "runaway" and she knows that he is with us. but id just really like to not get any involvement from her but if thats is our option so be it. rather that then see him on some kids couch or someones car

stealth2

Under the Radar Member
Well... Since you apparently aren't interested in a legal answer (which you got)... do what you like.

CdwJava

because there is no physical abuse. he will not stay there, afraid to see where he may end up if he is not with us. worse cause i suppose he has to say that is is with us so that he is not a "runaway" and she knows that he is with us. but id just really like to not get any involvement from her but if thats is our option so be it. rather that then see him on some kids couch or someones car
Well, since you are intent on risking your freedom to help him do what he wants, then there's not much reason for you to be on a legal site, is there?

You want to break the law, that's your choice.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">