• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

17 year old living on his own

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

IowaDad

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Iowa

My wife and I recently moved to a new location to accept a job. We had procured a grandparent to stay with our 17 year old sone for the remainder of the school year because he wanted to complete his senior year. The grandparent has decided to move out and back to her original home a few hours south. My wife and I still provide financial support for our son, he is still living in the house we own, and we make regular visits on weekends to check on my son. While it seems Iowa does not have any age restriction on leaving children home alone, the school just contacted me with a concern that my son is living on his own. They said that unless an adult is living with him, they will need to report this as child abandonment. What options do I have besides finding an adult to live with him or forcing my son to move to our new residence? Or is he okay living on his own at 17 in Iowa?

Indiana Filer

Did both parents move due to new employment? Could one parent stay with the child at the residence until said child reaches 18?

Isis1

how soon will he be 18?

and i have to ask....how did they find out he was living on his own?

believe me...i completely understand why your son would want to finish out his last year. i did the same thing. but is he responsible enough?

IowaDad

Did both parents move due to new employment? Could one parent stay with the child at the residence until said child reaches 18?
One parent could stay, but there are three younger daughters involved who have already enrolled in school. I'm just trying to find out of leaving him on his own is against any laws or Iowa codes.

Ohiogal

Queen Bee
One parent could stay, but there are three younger daughters involved who have already enrolled in school. I'm just trying to find out of leaving him on his own is against any laws or Iowa codes.
It could be legally an issue -- especially if he is tardy, truant, needs medical care, is causing problems (having parties, etc) -- and various other things.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">