• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

17 year old moving out

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

evry1snanabee

What is the name of your state? Oklahoma
My son has a friend who is 17 years old. My husband and I have helped the mother out for the past 4 years by taking care of the boy and his 2 siblings after school and during the summer while she worked, as well as feeding them all EVERYevening and weekend. 6 months ago the mom decided she didn't need our help anymore. Two of the kids are very upset because we have been their family. I have been more of a mother to these kids than she ever has been. The 2 boys are closer to me and my husband and the mom is very jealous and angry. She is treating the 17 year old like he is a child. He gets to make no decisions for himself, he can't leave the house without giving her a written itinerary of where he is going. She refuses to let him drive a car that we said he could drive. She will not let him have any freedom, and he wants to live with us. What are the laws concerning a 17 year old leaving home to live with another family?
I'm sorry, I don't think I explained this correctly. I have not come against the mother. I haven't discussed my feelings with the boy. I tell him to go home and obey his mother and do what is right. He was driving the car when the mom was coming to our house and she didn't mind, after she left and told him no, we took the car back. I would not go against her, I just see how frustrated and upset this boy is, and I know he is thinking of running away, even tho' I have encouraged him not to. I was just wondering what his options were. I would rather take him in than see him run away.

Last edited:

Shay-Pari'e

The law say's he can't.

What on earth are you doing giving this kid permission to drive your car when his mother say's no?

Just Blue

evry1snanabee said:
My son has a friend who is 17 years old. My husband and I have helped the mother out for the past 4 years by taking care of the boy and his 2 siblings after school and during the summer while she worked, as well as feeding them all EVERYevening and weekend. 6 months ago the mom decided she didn't need our help anymore. Two of the kids are very upset because we have been their family. I have been more of a mother to these kids than she ever has been. The 2 boys are closer to me and my husband and the mom is very jealous and angry. She is treating the 17 year old like he is a child. He gets to make no decisions for himself, he can't leave the house without giving her a written itinerary of where he is going. She refuses to let him drive a car that we said he could drive. She will not let him have any freedom, and he wants to live with us. What are the laws concerning a 17 year old leaving home to live with another family?

When he is 18 and wants to live with you he can...For now you really should seek some mental health help...And I don't mean that in a nasty way...But you are showing (by you own words) some real issues...If I were that mother I would get a RO against you...

HomeGuru

evry1snanabee said:

**A: lady, you are in denial. The mother calls the shots, not you. No matter how you feel about it. And that my dear, is the law.

Shay-Pari'e

baystategirl said:
When he is 18 and wants to live with you he can...For now you really should seek some mental health help...And I don't mean that in a nasty way...But you are showing (by you own words) some real issues...If I were that mother I would get a RO against you...
No kidding! If someone just let my child drive their car, I would have a RO slapped on her in a heart beat.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">