• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

17 year old moving out

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

acouture02

What is the name of your state? FL

This question is for my best friend who is 17 and graduating in May 2007 and wants to go to a college in orlando and since I and my boyfriend are going to the college that she wants to attend we have been looking for apartments to stay in with her. Problem is she doesn't turn 18 till September which is after classes start. Her mom is willing to give parental consent, but we have been told she would have to get emancipated in order to live with us even with both her parents consent in order for her to go to college. Can she move in with us if she gets emancipated, or is there any other way, or no way?

Thank you.What is the name of your state?

Happy Trails

What is the name of your state? FL

This question is for my best friend who is 17 and graduating in May 2007 and wants to go to a college in orlando and since I and my boyfriend are going to the college that she wants to attend we have been looking for apartments to stay in with her. Problem is she doesn't turn 18 till September which is after classes start. Her mom is willing to give parental consent, but we have been told she would have to get emancipated in order to live with us even with both her parents consent in order for her to go to college. Can she move in with us if she gets emancipated, or is there any other way, or no way?

Thank you.What is the name of your state?
Who told you she would need to be emancipated?

acouture02

One of the apartment managers asked her lawyer and they said she would need to get emancipated because we would be harboring a minor even though we have her parents consent. Another one said that its state law that if she isn't 18 the only way she could move in would be emancipation.

CdwJava

It sounds like they are concerned about liability. The landlord is concerned about his exposure if a minor is staying in one of the units. Your friend's parents may need to come with her to get her on the lease at the apartment. Or, they may have to secure some other housing for her.

She does not have to be emancipated to live apart from her parents provided they agree.

- Carl

Happy Trails

One of the apartment managers asked her lawyer and they said she would need to get emancipated because we would be harboring a minor even though we have her parents consent. Another one said that its state law that if she isn't 18 the only way she could move in would be emancipation.
The apartment manager must not have told the lawyer that she was going to have her parents' permission.

To sign a contract, most landlords would want her to be emancipated or at least 18 (so she would be legally liable if she broke the lease), but some landlords allow a parent to sign for the minor.

Her parents are the one's that would have to initiate the petition. You can find information below (you'll have to copy and paste without the "urls").

http://lawdigest.uslegalforms.com/minors/index.php?dID=1264

acouture02

Thanks so much. We were getting discouraged and I don't want her to give up on school. We will ask each place we see what their policy is on that situation. Thanks again.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">