• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

17 year old running away

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

yaya8

What is the name of your state? Georgia
Hi, my name is Yadira, I'm 17 going on 18, and my boyfriend, who is turning 17 in 2 weeks (June 24) is planning to runaway. His parents have been systematically abusing him (physically as well as mentally) over the past 3 or 4 years. He has called DEFAX on them and tried to runaway about 2 weeks ago, but the police department believes his parents because they blame everything on him. His parents have actually admitted that they beat him up, but all they say is that they do it because they have all the rights just for being his parents. They keep on repeatedly telling him that he is basically a burden to the family and that everything that goes wrong in the family is his fault.

We have been dating for almost 2 years and my parents are very understanding about his situation and they have agreed on letting us live together in their house (my parents') if he actually runs away. We have talked to a family friend who is also an attorney, and she says that at 17 the police cannot do anything really because in Georgia you are considered an adult and that if his parents file him as a runaway, all the police is going to do once they find he is living in my house, is call them, tell them they found him, and erase him off the system. Is this true??
I just want to know what's really going to happen that day when he runs away and comes to my house. Can his parents file any charges on him or can the police do anything to make him go back to his parents' house?
I would also like to know how does the emancipation process works here in Georgia.

I need an answer ASAP, since we only have 2 weeks to find out what really can happen.
Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks!

outonbail

His parents have actually admitted that they beat him up, but all they say is that they do it because they have all the rights just for being his parents. They keep on repeatedly telling him that he is basically a burden to the family and that everything that goes wrong in the family is his fault.
If this is true, then why would they stop him from leaving?

Something just doesn't add up here.

I would think they would help him pack his bags and see him out the door, so he could be a burden to your family....

my parents are very understanding about his situation and they have agreed on letting us live together in their house (my parents')
Live together as in sharing a bed and swapping body fluids?
I just want to know what's really going to happen that day when he runs away and comes to my house.
The two of you will be in bliss. You'll each think you've met your twin flame. The "I love you" "I love you too", I love you even more" and so on, will be like a constant music to your ears. You'll have that warm and fuzzy feeling inside and make love until the sun comes up.

Then, as time goes on,,,,

You'll be spending so much more time together, that you will start to question whether living together was such a good idea after all. If neither of you are in school and neither of you have a job, it should only take about three months for your bliss to turn into misery. Unfortunately, you will be pregnant by then.
You will become disassociated with all your other friends. You will constantly have to tell him where you were, who you were talking with and what you were talking about.
If you can't account for every minute of the day, you'll be accused of cheating on him. If you do go to a friends house, he will call there every fifteen minutes to check up on you.

You will eventually tell him his parents were absolutely right, he is a burden and all of your misery is his fault.

You will kick him out, he will stalk you, you will get a restraining order, he will violate it, you will then be getting collect phone calls from jail.

You will have his baby,
you will have an attorney
you will not have him providing child support.

You will not hear from him for a month or two,,,, until he shows up with his new girlfriend who wants to be in the babies life and be the fill in mom when the baby is visiting with him.

Then the inevitable hate will overwhelm you. You will hate him more than you could have ever believed you're capable of hating someone!

Good luck! :D

Just Blue

I would think they would help him pack his bags and see him out the door, so he could be a burden to your family....

The two of you will be in bliss. You'll each think you've met your twin flame. The "I love you" "I love you too", I love you even more" and so on, will be like a constant music to your ears. You'll have that warm and fuzzy feeling inside and make love until the sun comes up.

You'll be spending so much more time together, that you will start to question whether living together was such a good idea after all. If neither of you are in school and neither of you have a job, it should only take about three months for your bliss to turn into misery. Unfortunately, you will be pregnant by then.
You will become disassociated with all your other friends. You will constantly have to tell him where you were, who you were talking with and what you were talking about.
If you can't account for every minute of the day, you'll be accused of cheating on him. If you do go to a friends house, he will call there every fifteen minutes to check up on you.

You will eventually tell him his parents were absolutely right, he is a burden and all of your misery is his fault.

You will kick him out, he will stalk you, you will get a restraining order, he will violate it, you will then be getting collect phone calls from jail.

You will have his baby,

You will not hear from him for a month or two,,,, until he shows up with his new girlfriend who wants to be in the babies life and be the fill in mom when the baby is visiting with him.

Then the inevitable hate will overwhelm you. You will hate him more than you could have ever believed you're capable of hating someone!

Just to add to this very insightful post:

While all of the above is happening, you and your parents will be defending yourselves from criminal charges, including (but not limited to):

Parental Interference
Contributing to the Delinquency of a Minor
Aiding and Abetting (running away is illegal...If it wasn't it would be called moving.)

Personally, I feel that stupidity such as your parents are displaying should be a criminal offense. Boo that it isn't.:(

Shay-Pari'e

No proof of abuse here, and honestly he is better off at home than with your parents who would allow a teenage boy to be living with their teenage daughter.

PS. Bay? I am sticky noting this thread. I have to get my daughter to SFO in a bit.

Shay-Pari'e

Just to add to this very insightful post:

While all of the above is happening, you and your parents will be defending yourselves from criminal charges, including (but not limited to):

Parental Interference
Contributing to the Delinquency of a Minor
Aiding and Abetting (running away is illegal...If it wasn't it would be called moving.)

Personally, I feel that stupidity such as your parents are displaying should be a criminal offense. Boo that it isn't.:(
DITTO! And you beat me to it!

My daughter turned 15 today and has her 1st boyfriend. Dad and I were shocked when Grandpa called to wish her a happy birthday, as it was the first time we heard our baby say..."her Boyfriend"

He is a doll, but open door policy from both parents end. This girls mother takes the cake of utter stupidity.

Last edited:

Just Blue

No proof of abuse here, and honestly he is better off at home than with your parents who would allow a teenage boy to be living with their teenage daughter.

PS. Bay? I am sticky noting this thread. I have to get my daughter to SFO in a bit.
This surely will end up in the finals.

Shay-Pari'e

You will have his baby,

Loved this answer. I may need you in the future, so can I get your card?

outonbail

Loved this answer. I may need you in the future, so can I get your card?
Thanks for the vote of confidence.

But most of us have been there ourselves, then witnessed others go through the same thing over and over. But we didn't listen to anyone's advice back then either. At least I know I didn't.
The unfortunate thing is that the OP will not see my post as being anything but nonsense and something that couldn't happen to her. Because their relationship will be different, their compatible and they know their love is for ever. After all, it's already been two whole years!

A month of living with each other, picking up and washing his clothes, making what he wants for dinner, washing his dishes, rinsing his toothpaste out of the bathroom sink and answering to his every command, while he's sitting at her desk updating his "myspace profile" over and over again and it will seem like they've been together for ten years, not two!

Oh well, maybe she can still buy the extended warranty on this relationship, because something tells me that when this boys parents aren't right there to blame his problems on, that he will enlist whoever happens to be in close, finger pointing reach.

Guess who that will be? ;)

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">