• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

17 Year Old seeks advice!

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Mr. Gizmo

What is the name of your state? Massachusetts

What happened to innocent until proven guilty? About a month ago me and my father had a fight. Not a big one, a small one. He pushed me, I pushed him back. There were no injuries of any sort. We were both very mad however. He's called the police on me before. Nothing really happened they only shook their finger and told me not to fight with him again. While we were fighting I unplugged the phone so he wouldn't call the police. In hope of me and him talking about it instead of it getting dirty. Unfortunately he left and drove off to get them himself. They came to my house and asked me what happened and I said "Nothing big, we were just fighting a little bit." They then put me under arrest, blah blah blah, held me in a cell we went to court for another date. However what I'm really curious about is the fact that it happened so quickly. Is it really possible for me to go to the cops and say "this person did this, and this, and this." Then the cops will proceed to arrest them? Is that really how it goes or should I have just kept my big mouth shut and not said anything? If it is really this easy to get someone in trouble wouldn't people be doing it all the time? Hell, I could call the cops on everyone in my neighborhood saying "he pushed me even though i pushed him first" or "he blocked me when i was leaving" or some other bullcrap like that. Am I missing a piece of the puzzle or something?

P.S: Everything is fine at the house though. Although my dad is a bit unstable for example he uses vulgar words to insult me every now and then which I don't appreciate.

Mr. Gizmo

My basic question was: I can go to the cops accusing people of different things and have my whole neighborhood arrested? By making up lies and stories? Just because someone said something doesn't make it true. You never answered my main question.

Last edited:

BL

Mr. Gizmo said:
My basic question was: I can go to the cops accusing people of different things and have my whole neighborhood arrested? By making up lies and stories? Just because someone said something doesn't make it true. You never answered my main question.
You are being dramatic in the whole neighborhood thing , and it shows your immaturity .

To answer your question however , Yes a person can swear out an affidavit against another individual , leading to an arrest .

You admit this is a pattern with you and your father . You live under your fathers' roof , and have NO right unplugging a phone and having pushing matches .

If your father pushes you first , you don't push back , you can call the police .

You should consider moving out when you're 18 .

Mr. Gizmo

Blonde Lebinese said:
You are being dramatic in the whole neighborhood thing , and it shows your immaturity .

To answer your question however , Yes a person can swear out an affidavit against another individual , leading to an arrest .

You admit this is a pattern with you and your father . You live under your fathers' roof , and have NO right unplugging a phone and having pushing matches .

If your father pushes you first , you don't push back , you can call the police .

You should consider moving out when you're 18 .
I was using the 'neighborhood thing' as an example. I'd appreciate if you wouldn't accuse and judge people of being certain things if you don't even know them. Thanks!

And no, this is not a pattern. He did it once before in my entire life they simply tapped me on the head. (figure of speach). And said "don't do it again".

Second time they took action. Both of these incidents were each exactly over one year apart. So in no way is this a pattern. And also the first time was a completely different situation that didn't involve pushing or physical contact.

So if he pushes me I should take it. Yet when I push him back I get arrested? Understandable but unnecessary. Wouldn't that normally be self defense in my case?

And my last question. What happened to 'innocent until proven guilty'?

BL

He's called the police on me before. Nothing really happened they only shook their finger and told me not to fight with him again.
He did it once before in my entire life they simply tapped me on the head. (figure of speach). And said "don't do it again".

Get your stories straight .

I told you how it goes .

Mr. Gizmo

Blonde Lebinese said:
Get your stories straight .

I told you how it goes .

When I said 'fight' I meant verbally. Not physically. So my stories are straight. It is not my fault if you continue to misunderstand everything I say. I hoped I would have been able to recieve better advice. Unforunately and obviously, that's not the case. I'll probably have luck elsewhere, where people actually read and understand what I'm trying to say. Goodbye forever.

ENortham

Calling the police and falsely reporting someone for committing a crime is a crime where I'm from...I guess if you felt you were really wronged by your dad and wanted some kind of revenge you could go that route...but cmon, there's enough dysfunction in your situation anyway. Stop the bickering! :rolleyes: :p

ENortham

Mr. Gizmo said:
When I said 'fight' I meant verbally. Not physically. So my stories are straight. It is not my fault if you continue to misunderstand everything I say. I hoped I would have been able to recieve better advice. Unforunately and obviously, that's not the case. I'll probably have luck elsewhere, where people actually read and understand what I'm trying to say. Goodbye forever.

Aww Mr. Gizmo, Don't be so sensitive.

stealth2

Under the Radar Member
Mr. Gizmo said:
We can only go by what you ACTUALLY post. Not by what you meant to post. Or what you thought about posting. Or what you might post in the future. SO really, the onus is on you to present your situation clearly and concisely.

I know what you mean. My father called the cops on me many a times and there were times where he blocked me from calling the cops and i eventually got through to them and the cops didn't care I was not being allowed to call for police assistance. As long as your under his roof he can pretty much do what he wants. it sucks. just get ready to move out.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">