• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

17 Year Old Texas Adult?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

liquidshadow911

What is the name of your state? Texas

I have heard that in Texas one is legally considered an adult at the age of seventeen... Can anyone confirm this?

Furthermore, if one is considered an adult at the age of seventeen in Texas, doesn't that give them the authority to move out of their parents household with or without their permission?

Thanks in advance for any help that may be offered.

Silverplum

What is the name of your state? Texas

I have heard that in Texas one is legally considered an adult at the age of seventeen... Can anyone confirm this?

Furthermore, if one is considered an adult at the age of seventeen in Texas, doesn't that give them the authority to move out of their parents household with or without their permission?

Thanks in advance for any help that may be offered.
I would think an adult could google their own info and find valid legal standards on their own state's website. Therefore, you are a child. :rolleyes:

mommyof4

The age of CONSENT in TX is 17. The age of MAJORITY is 18. Age of consent has nothing to do with age of majority. You are not a legal adult until you reach the age of 18. When you are 18, you can choose where to live. Until that date, your parents choose for you.

You heard wrong.

Texican

First Hand Experience

I moved out of my parents house at 17. I know for a fact that the police do not try to contact parents when they come across a 17 year old. They are just looking to arrest you, since you can be charged as an adult. I know this because it happened to me multiple times.

Texican

I'm 34 now and I still have that stupid stuff on my record. It comes up during interviews but it never held me back from anything.

cbg

I'm a Northern Girl
No, you only know that the police in YOUR town either did not contact your parents or that your parents did not respond when they did. You do not know for a fact that no police anywhere in the state of Texas will do so.

And just because your employment has not been affected does not mean the same is true for everyone.

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
Nor does it mean that things are handled the same now, 17 years later. Nor does it mean that it's "ok" to post on a 5 year old thread ;)

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">