+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree2Likes
  • 2 Post By Zigner

Thread: 17 Year Old Texas Adult?

liquidshadow911 is offline Junior Member

17 Year Old Texas Adult?

What is the name of your state? Texas

I have heard that in Texas one is legally considered an adult at the age of seventeen... Can anyone confirm this?

Furthermore, if one is considered an adult at the age of seventeen in Texas, doesn't that give them the authority to move out of their parents household with or without their permission?

Thanks in advance for any help that may be offered.
    Silverplum is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by liquidshadow911 View Post
    What is the name of your state? Texas

I have heard that in Texas one is legally considered an adult at the age of seventeen... Can anyone confirm this?

Furthermore, if one is considered an adult at the age of seventeen in Texas, doesn't that give them the authority to move out of their parents household with or without their permission?

Thanks in advance for any help that may be offered.
    I would think an adult could google their own info and find valid legal standards on their own state's website. Therefore, you are a child.
    mommyof4 is offline Senior Member
    The age of CONSENT in TX is 17. The age of MAJORITY is 18. Age of consent has nothing to do with age of majority. You are not a legal adult until you reach the age of 18. When you are 18, you can choose where to live. Until that date, your parents choose for you.

You heard wrong.
    Texican is offline Junior Member

First Hand Experience

I moved out of my parents house at 17. I know for a fact that the police do not try to contact parents when they come across a 17 year old. They are just looking to arrest you, since you can be charged as an adult. I know this because it happened to me multiple times.
    Texican is offline Junior Member
    I'm 34 now and I still have that stupid stuff on my record. It comes up during interviews but it never held me back from anything.
    cbg
    cbg is offline Senior Member
    No, you only know that the police in YOUR town either did not contact your parents or that your parents did not respond when they did. You do not know for a fact that no police anywhere in the state of Texas will do so.

And just because your employment has not been affected does not mean the same is true for everyone.
    Two things I am tired of typing: 1.) A wrongful termination does not mean that you were fired for something you didn't do; it means that you were fired for a reason prohibited by law. 2.) The above answer, whatever it is, assumes that no legally binding contract or CBA expressly says otherwise. If it does, the terms of the contract apply.
    Zigner is offline Senior Member
    Nor does it mean that things are handled the same now, 17 years later. Nor does it mean that it's "ok" to post on a 5 year old thread
    TheGeekess and Isis1 like this.