• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

17 year old under my roof

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

MesBeth

What is the name of your state? Mississippi

My son is 17 and has admitted to smoking pot. He refuses to stop hanging around this one particular kid who we know he is smoking pot with. My son denies doing other drugs and we have had him tested and only tested positive for marijuana. He is aware we do not allow any drug on or in our property unless it is prescribed by a doctor and for whom it is intended.
Being that he in the past has promised to quit and knows we forbid it he continues and says he plans to continue smoking it. Do I have to allow him to live under my roof and eat my food when he gets the "munchies"? Since he has a job and has the attitude that he can do as he wants and says it "doesn't concern" me, can I charge him rent or have him removed from my home?
I don't want my property, be it my house or vehicle taken away if he gets "busted".

B

bradybunchmom

bratty kid

. Do I have to allow him to live under my roof and eat my food when he gets the "munchies"
untill he is 18, yes you do. your house, your rules, if he doesnt like it, tough &&&&. you have the right to forbid him from associating with anyone you do not approve of. you are the parent, he is the child, its time to start acting like a parent, and stop letting him run the show

Warped

Jesus H... Here's a novel thought.. BE A PARENT! Take everything he likes away from him. Restrict him to home and school only. No friends over, no phone, no TV, no anything until he gets it through his head that YOU are the parent and HE is the child. Take the door off of his room. Make him earn the privledge of privacy, trust and creature comforts by complying with your rules.

If none of that will work do what BelizeBreeze suggested and call the cops the next time you think he's high. Hell, search his room and if you find any wackyweed, call the cops and let them cart his ass off to jail for a nice wakeup call. Just don't be a wuss and bail him out.

...Since he has a job and has the attitude that he can do as he wants and says it "doesn't concern" me, can I charge him rent or have him removed from my home?...
I would say that he had a job. If money is used to buy dope, there would be no money. Period. If, for some unknown reason, that you can't keep him from working... you are probably entitled to his earning.

Example, when we caught our 15yr old smoking, we liquidated all her moneys (right out of her dresser) and produced her with a check made out to her food service in school. They don't sell cigs in the cafeteria at school. She was given ample warnings.

Or, you could ignore the behaviour and wait until he turns your home into a crack house.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">