• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

17 year old wanting to move out of parents

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

mdb1992

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Lebanon County, pa

Hi, i have a friend and she will be 17 on Tuesday. She really wants to move out of her moms because all they do is fight. Her mom always lies to her about everything, she has a different boyfriend every week. Also this girl dad passed away when she was 2 and her mom is getting all of her SSI money and she dont see a dime from it. Her mom doesn't even by her cloths for school or anything, she just drinks it away. I live out of pa and she really wants to come down here and live. I was wondering of when shes turns 17 if her mom gave her permission to come visit down here and then she decided that she doesnt want to go home can she do that or would she be considered a runaway?

Proserpina

Hi, i have a friend and she will be 17 on Tuesday. She really wants to move out of her moms because all they do is fight. Her mom always lies to her about everything, she has a different boyfriend every week. Also this girl dad passed away when she was 2 and her mom is getting all of her SSI money and she dont see a dime from it. Her mom doesn't even by her cloths for school or anything, she just drinks it away. I live out of pa and she really wants to come down here and live. I was wondering of when shes turns 17 if her mom gave her permission to come visit down here and then she decided that she doesnt want to go home can she do that or would she be considered a runaway?

Yes, she would. And you may be looking at federal charges for harboring a runaway.

Do. Not. Encourage. This. Behavior.

TheGeekess

Keeper of the Kraken

She won't see a dime of those dependent benefits if she leaves Mom's house, either. The SSA will cut those funds off. :cool:

mdb1992

What makes you think the daughter should be getting the money?
She might not need to get it all but her mom should at least by her cloths and shoes for school when the one she has now dont fit her and her shoes are too small something should be done

single317dad

You could contact child services to investigate whether Mom is negligent in her parental duties, but if the child is removed form the home it's no guarantee she'd be placed with your family (or anywhere she'd be any happier, for that matter).

Proserpina

She might not need to get it all but her mom should at least by her cloths and shoes for school when the one she has now dont fit her and her shoes are too small something should be done

hon, I gotta ask.

You're in a different state. How much of your cousin's story is just that - a story - versus the reality?

You've only got her word for it, right?

Step away. This situation is not going to end well for you. If she believes she's being neglected, she can contact child services. But even if she does, she won't be moving in with you any time soon.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">