• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

17 Year Old Wants To Quit School and Move Out

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

S

shotsie

What is the name of your state? Oregon We have had years of problems with our son. He constantly skips school, takes off when he pleases, doesn't come home or check in, etc., and so on. Yes, he uses marijuana and after $5,000 out of our pocket for rehab, he still uses. He has stolen from us, his Grandmother, and even lied to friends to get money. Now, he turns 18 in 4 1/2 months. I say, he has to go to school as long as he lives here. He says, he wants to drop out and move out of here. We'd love to "kick him out" however, we're not sure of Oregon law as to removing an "out of control" 17 year old from our house. We talked until we are blue in the face, but he will not look for a job. We've warned him that the day he turns 18 he will be leaving and without financial help from us, if he continues to fail at school and not follow our rules in our home. This doesn't seem to matter to him. We've offered to help pay for college if he graduates, this doesn't seem to matter, either. This has been an on-going 5-year battle with this young guy. Love him? Certainly! Hate his behavior? Definitely! We have tried every form of discipline allowed. Nothing, absolutely nothing has worked. We've removed everything from his room except for his bed. He didn't care. He runs away, sneaks out of the house whenever he pleases, even though he is grounded. I've caught him several times over the years with marijauna and smoking it in his bedroom, so we took the door of his bedroom. He smokes cigarettes in his bedroom, too. This is why I say, he is totally and completely out of control. No respect for himself or others at all. By the way, he is exceptionally gifted and talented. Wonderful musician with the guitar, piano and voice. We've encouraged him on every avenue of his talents, to no avail. Finally, I'm asking what can we legally do? What are our legal obligations as parents in Oregon? Thank you.

M

masterjester

shotsie said:
Finally, I'm asking what can we legally do?
i like that because legally i dont know but as for your unself like people say what momma dont know wont hurt her.
i say you should just kick his ass. the kid needs to be taught a lesson of respect and if he thinks he is an adult i say kick his ass like an adult and put him on the street.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">