• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

17 years old convicted of possession of marijuana (California)

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

mike.nn

17 years old convicted of possession of marijuana (California)
Hello all, last night I was at the wrong place at the wrong time. The San Jose police department was responding to what they thought was a break-in call, it was actually a group of teenagers hanging out at someones house (apparently the person who's parents own the home wasn't supposed to even be there.) From what I saw the cops entered through the side yard with no consent. Once they entered the backyard it was evaluated that there as no alcohol but marijuana was present. My friend had a medical card so he was fine for whatever he had but after I had confessed that I also possessed it they asked to search my backpack in which they found 3.5 grams of marijuana and a gram of unopened concentrated cannabis. I was extremely cooperative and nice to they cops. They confiscated all the cannabis, and returned any drug paraphernalia.

They issued me a juvenile citation, but this is where my main question lies. The code section reads "HS 11357(b)" and the crime(s) just states "possession of marijuana." I would like to know, if the code section only states (b), is the concentrated cannabis (which is 11357 (a)) going to be used against me as well during the court hearing or did the police leave it out? My family is strongly considering hiring an attorney, however I just don't know if I am being charged with the possession of concentrates as well, there is a pretty big consequence difference between the two.

I'm 17, and graduated with stellar grades.. Im attending a local college next year and am very worried to lose my license as I have read that the may be a possible consequence for a minor, and in addition I definitely plan to be clean for a long while from now. Can anyone offer me insight, advice, what to expect, or anything additional? Any response are greatly appreciated, thank you for reading.

stealth2

Under the Radar Member
A lawyer is a good idea.

CDWJava will be a better resource in terms of the charges, etc.

As far as I know, they could take your license. A conviction may also affect any scholarship/grant money you have received for college. So yes, a lawyer is a good idea.

CdwJava

H&S 11357(b) is an infraction punishable by $100 plus fees and assessments (total might be nearly $300). If that is all you are being charged with then, as a juvenile, you face fines and - possibly - drug counseling as well.

You need to reconsider your choice of friends and recreational activities. Smoking dope is not going to make life any better and will simply increase the law enforcement contacts.

mike.nn

Thank you for the responses. I definitely do not plan on continuing the weed, infact I've gotten rid of it.

H&S 11357(b) is an infraction punishable by $100 plus fees and assessments (total might be nearly $300). If that is all you are being charged with then, as a juvenile, you face fines and - possibly - drug counseling as well.

You need to reconsider your choice of friends and recreational activities. Smoking dope is not going to make life any better and will simply increase the law enforcement contacts.
CdwJava, if H&S 11357(b) was written down on my ticket, how/when will the confiscated concentrated cannabis play effect into this case, will the charge be added on, or can I count on just being charged with the possession of 3.5 grams?

Thanks

CdwJava

Thank you for the responses. I definitely do not plan on continuing the weed, infact I've gotten rid of it.

CdwJava, if H&S 11357(b) was written down on my ticket, how/when will the confiscated concentrated cannabis play effect into this case, will the charge be added on, or can I count on just being charged with the possession of 3.5 grams?

Thanks
Your first court date will be your arraignment. Depending on the county you are in, this matter will either be handled in Juvenile Court or in Traffic Court. When you are arraigned, that will be when you are informed of the charges you face. If they tack on an additional offense, they will have to do so at arraignment. If you are charged with a more serious offense you will have the option of court appointed counsel if mom and dad cannot afford an attorney.

mike.nn

Your first court date will be your arraignment. Depending on the county you are in, this matter will either be handled in Juvenile Court or in Traffic Court. When you are arraigned, that will be when you are informed of the charges you face. If they tack on an additional offense, they will have to do so at arraignment. If you are charged with a more serious offense you will have the option of court appointed counsel if mom and dad cannot afford an attorney.
Please let me make sure I understand this correctly, so I will have to wait till my court date to find out all the charges I am being faced with? When I receive the paper in the mail with all the court info, will it not state the exact charges? Thanks

CdwJava

*IF* you receive anything in the mail, it will likely contain all the charges. But! You can always be arraigned on additional or modified offenses come that time. It's unlikely, but, it is possible.

http://www.courts.ca.gov/1069.htm

The process will be slightly different between Traffic Court and Juvenile Court, so what happens and HOW it happens will depend on what court hears your case.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">