• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

17 years old, kicked out

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

87dragonguy

What is the name of your state?What is the name of your state? Arizona
I am 17 years old and in 2 months I will be 18. My parents kicked me out and said take only what you can carry. Do they have any legal liabilty to give me my stuff in my room? Stuff I bought while i lived there or stuff they gave me as gifts for holidays and such. Thankyou for any information that may help me.

Jay2

I'm pretty sure they can't do that... They are legally resposible for you until your 18. But if you want your stuff back just go in there and take it. Its your stuff should you should be able to take it. Or you just sneak in when their not home and take it.

87dragonguy

arrested

they said they would have me arrested if i did that? is it illegal for me to do that? can i be arrested for it?

Veronica1228

87dragonguy said:
they said they would have me arrested if i did that? is it illegal for me to do that? can i be arrested for it?
Dragonguy, Jay2 is a very nice kid and he means well, but he's only 13. Please wait for someone else to come along and answer your question.

Wolflmg

What was there reasoning for kicking you out before your 18th birthday?

And where are you staying now? With a friend, another family member, hotel?

87dragonguy

girlfriend

My girlfriend is pregnant and we were in disagreement over it and she kicked me out. Now i am staying with my girlfriend.

Wolflmg

Well then here's what you do. You go home and apologize for whatever you said.

Your going to need your parents, because having a baby changes everything. So go home and make up with them and be a man, because since there is a kid on the way you can no longer be a kid. It's time to grow up become a man. And I'm sorry you had to learn that the hard way. Just remember to be a good father and stick with the kid, no matter what happens between you and your girlfriend.

Sadly the jerk that got my sis, pregnant, didn't want the kid, and niether did his parents. So they went behind my parents back and got rid of baby.
I'm happy there are at least some guys out there that will stick by their girlfriend when this kind of thing happens.

Good luck and I hope you can work things out with your parents, after all, this baby will be their grandchild.

87dragonguy

I have already said sorry. They are mad because I did not urge my grilfriend to get an abortion. I am sorry to say that the situation can not be resolved, I can only move on with the support of my girlfriends family. I would just gladly like an answer to my question. Do I have any legal grounds to get my stuff? Both gifts and items I purchased, but no longer have a recipt for. :confused:

Wolflmg

Hard call. And I can understand your reasoning for not wanting to do what they wanted you to do. I don't understand how there can be people like that and it's real hard on you, because their your parents.

Have you tried calling another realative, grandparent, aunt or uncle? Or if you go to a church, maybe have the Pastor or Priest talk to them, reasoning with them?

Technonly they are responisbly for you until your 18, and kicking you out of the house, just becasue you didn't want to abort your child, is no reason for them to kick you out. If you can't get a hold of another realative. I would get in touch with one of the birth right places, they should have people there that you can talk to and that maybe able to talk to your parents.

Although hopefully in time your parents, will see how wrong their being. You can try calling the local police department and explain your situation and see what they say. I would assume that anything you have bought or was given to you, you should be able to take. Now if you have a car that could be another story, unless your the one makeing the payments on it.

I do hope everything works out for the best.

infidel_lola

You might want to check with the youth agencies in Arizona about your specific circumstances, but generally your parents are responsible for you being safely and adequately provided for until the age of 18.

This doesn't necessarily mean that they must allow you to live in their home, but it does mean that they can't unreasonably deprive you of the basic necessities of life.

You may be entitled to financial assistance from your parents if they are unwilling to allow you to return home. You are almost certainly legally entitled to retrieve some of your belongings (such as clothing and other basic items) whether or not you paid for them.

However, it sounds to me like the most useful avenue you could pursue at the moment is mediation with your parents. Realise that while it may be possible for you, your girlfriend, and you child to get by without their support and assistance, your life is going to be considerably easier if you are not at odds with them.

You have a whole lot of difficult decisions to make in the coming months, and the more support you have from family and friends the more options you'll have.

I watch my 18 year old daughter struggle with the challenges of teen parenthood every day, and I think that she'd be the first one to say that even though she thought she had it all worked out, the realities of parenthood are far more demanding than she'd ever envisaged.

You don't mention how long ago your parents kicked you out. If this has only happened in the last few days, then you and they probably both need some time to cool off before the situation escalates. While that's happening, you might want to think about the kinds of support you'll need over the next couple of years and where your parents fit into that.

The clearer you are about what help you'd like from your parents, and the clearer they are about what support they will and will not provide, the more able you'll be to start putting in place the network of resources your new family is going to need.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">