• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

17 years old and mother keeps threatening to kick me out of house.

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Cheyb

if I am 17 years old and my mother keeps threatening to kick me out of the house can I legally leave.?

CdwJava

if I am 17 years old and my mother keeps threatening to kick me out of the house can I legally leave.?
What state are you in?

In general, no, your mother (or legal guardian) is legally required to provide for you. Now, if mom says to leave and does not care where you go, then you can leave. But, the minute she wants you back, you will generally have to return or you - and the people that are helping you - can face the possibility of criminal charges.

So, why don't you come back with the state you are in. Also, where is your father in all of this? Does mom have sole legal and physical custody?

Cheyb

My mom has custody of me. My " father " has been in and out of jail all my life, and I don't really consider him my father because of some of the things he has said to me and because he has always treated my brother better than me and he isn't even his real father.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">