• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

17 yr MI

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Chrisxq2

So I am 17 years old, and from Michigan. Currently I'm trying to leave my house, I have been planning for some years now. However I'm running into some snags. So my first question is, I'm technically allowed to move away from my home l, but what legal problems could I run into? Secondly, once I leave the residents can I claim my personal belongings (clothes, mail, anything I purchased) and be on my way? Finally, once I leave my residence am I able to live my life to how I please without parents super controlling hand?

LdiJ

So I am 17 years old, and from Michigan. Currently I'm trying to leave my house, I have been planning for some years now. However I'm running into some snags. So my first question is, I'm technically allowed to move away from my home l, but what legal problems could I run into? Secondly, once I leave the residents can I claim my personal belongings (clothes, mail, anything I purchased) and be on my way? Finally, once I leave my residence am I able to live my life to how I please without parents super controlling hand?
Whoever told you that you could leave at 17 seriously led you astray. Its 18. You cannot leave until age 18 without parental permission. On top of that, you cannot remove anything from the home (even at age 18) that you cannot prove you paid for yourself.

quincy

For what reason will you be leaving your family home? Many 17-year-olds head off to college and work to support themselves, so it is not unreasonable for you to think you can do this. What you are able to take with you when you go depends on the relationship you have with your parent(s) and what they are willing to let you leave with in the way of personal possessions.

So, what are your plans? Have you finished high school? Do you intend to go to college? Do you have a job? Can you afford a place to live on your own, or can you room with friends?

Proserpina

Whoever told you that you could leave at 17 seriously led you astray. Its 18. You cannot leave until age 18 without parental permission. On top of that, you cannot remove anything from the home (even at age 18) that you cannot prove you paid for yourself.
Doesn't Michigan have the same kind of (rather stupid, actually) loophole as Texas, where a 17 year old won't be forced to move back home at all?

Chrisxq2

I'v read in multiple places I can leave / runaway and be completely fine. Anyhow, I am going to be a senior this year. As well as I play allot of school sports, and have all intentions of finishing them out. I make enough money and have planned to split rent on an apartment. Both make enough to be set as long as we dont make unnecessary purchases. An I have a less then poor relationship with my parents, so gathering my things from them with just asking is not happening. Most likely I will have to call the police to come watch over the matter when it does happen.

Proserpina

I'v read in multiple places I can leave / runaway and be completely fine. Anyhow, I am going to be a senior this year. As well as I play allot of school sports, and have all intentions of finishing them out. I make enough money and have planned to split rent on an apartment. Both make enough to be set as long as we dont make unnecessary purchases. An I have a less then poor relationship with my parents, so gathering my things from them with just asking is not happening. Most likely I will have to call the police to come watch over the matter when it does happen.
Chris, you're not thinking this through. You're just not thinking this through.

Good luck.

Chrisxq2

Correct, I have called the police and they have also confirmed this and said "Your not a minor, 16 and under is considered to be a minor." However I'm not an adult yet so it's In between. So the loophole is what's doing it for me.

CdwJava

So I am 17 years old, and from Michigan. Currently I'm trying to leave my house, I have been planning for some years now. However I'm running into some snags. So my first question is, I'm technically allowed to move away from my home l, but what legal problems could I run into?
While MI lacks a mechanism for the POLICE to drag you home, your PARENTS can do so. And, it may well be possible to pursue charges against those that keep you away from your parents' control. So, you may be mistaking the loophole in MI's (and TX's) law that does not allow them to drag you home for actual permission. The fact of the matter is that you are a minor and your parents are your legal guardian until you are 18.

Secondly, once I leave the residents can I claim my personal belongings (clothes, mail, anything I purchased) and be on my way? Finally, once I leave my residence am I able to live my life to how I please without parents super controlling hand?
If you leave, and your parents allow you to leave and live elsewhere, then you can take whatever they allow you to take with you. The police are NOT going to force your parents to turn over anything you may claim to possess.

If you want to leave home and live wherever, wait until you are 18. Trust me when I say that you are hardly the first teenager to think his parents are controlling autocrats. I have three former teens and one current teen who have held that same opinion from time to time, and I wager that most the posters on here with kids can say much the same. It is the nature of teens to feel put upon by their parents.

If you are being physically abused in some manner, call child services or the police. Leaving home is NOT the way to handle that issue, and will serve to make you appear to be a petulant child rather than a reasoned and responsible young (almost) "adult."

quincy

You can leave home at age 17 and the courts have no jurisdiction over you if you leave. BUT, even though you can leave home at age 17, your parents must still support you until you are age 18.

Here is a link to the laws in Michigan (use the arrows on the left to work through the applicable laws):

http://www.legislature.mi.gov/(S(dtznbhvlz2navc15tassbh5e))/mileg.aspx?page=getobject&objectname=mcl-722-3

If you have not yet graduated from high school, leaving home might not be the smartest move you can make. It is hard for a high school student to work and attend school and do well at either. You might want to speak to a counselor at your high school to discuss your plans.

Last edited:

quincy

Now that the moving away part is figured out, what about my property?
Your parents do not really need to give you anything that is in their possession in their house. You could argue that you own any personal belongings that you purchased yourself.

Again, I recommend you speak to a trusted adult about moving out of your house before you make the move.

quincy

Depending on how "poor" the poor relationship is that Chris has with his parents, moving away from his home might not be the worst thing he can do.

Moving away from home is generally not an ideal choice for someone who has not finished high school but, under some circumstances, moving away could be the smartest or the safest choice.

I would hope that Chris has not come to a decision to move without a great deal of thought and, in fact, he says he has been planning to do so "for years."

Here is a link to Reardon v. Midland Community Schools, E.D. Mich, 2011, which discusses the laws that are involved when a 17-year-old decides to leave home without the knowledge of, or permission of, the parents: http://scholar.google.com/scholar_case?case=9497518597361910463&q=Reardon+v.+Midland+Community+Schools&hl=en&as_sdt=80000006

Last edited:

FarmerJ

Abuse does include things like verbal abuse, there are some parents who do a very thorough job destroying a childs self esteem thru name calling, telling the child they cant do any thing right, they are worthless, or in the case of daughters some parents include things like telling her she is a SL*t or a Wh*re over and over. Chris if by chance you can stick it out until your 18th birthday have a plan ready and carry it out , you are free to take ALL of your personal property and any furniture you paid for even if that means having a friend assist you. AS far as school goes, should you stick it out until you are 18 once you are then you go to the school offices after you have moved away and make it crystal clear to them that they are to change your records to your new address and phone , you are now 18 and no longer live at home and since you are no longer under 18 or live with your parents that they are NOT to discuss any matter about you to them any more. ( if you must then go to the principle with this issue once you are 18 and on own ) About renting somewhere , honestly when I had my 4 plex there was a young man I knew of whose mom would have cosigned for him since he was 17 and wanting to be on his own, personally I think it would have been a nightmare, most landlords I suspect would not want to rent to someone under 18 since there is no legal way to enter into a contract with the 17 yr old. If there is another relative you could live with that may be the way to go. Decades ago I left right after my 18th birthday and know from experience what it is like to grow up with toxic parenting.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">