• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

17 yr old

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

unicornz212

What is the name of your state? Ohio My 17 yr old daughter was awoken by the police in a house where there was a party the night before. they just walked in the house woke everyone up cuffed them and toke them to the station, now she is being charged with under age consumtion. They did not read her, her rights or test for alcohol. Can she still be charged?

The Occultist

To expand on Ohiogal's perfectly correct answer, rights only need to be read after an arrest and prior to questioning. If rights are not read, then any incriminating statements your daughter made AFTER the arrest cannot be used against her in court. I doubt they need her statements.

seniorjudge

To expand on Ohiogal's perfectly correct answer, rights only need to be read after an arrest and prior to questioning. If rights are not read, then any incriminating statements your daughter made AFTER the arrest cannot be used against her in court. I doubt they need her statements.
Amplification:
If rights are not read, then any incriminating statements your daughter made as a result of questioning by the cops AFTER the arrest cannot be used against her in court. Any voluntary statements she makes can be used.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">