• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

17 yr old kicked out by custodial parent

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

mrs.biggo

What is the name of your state? Michigan

Hello all :)
I'm hoping to be able to get some constructive leads as to where my Husband and I can go for help on this issue. One month ago, my Daughters boyfriend was kicked out of his home at midnight on a Sunday by his Mother (and I do use that term lightly) because he had written something in his MySpace blog concerning her relationship with a man (one of MANY she's had in the past 2 years). He was not totally disrespectful, as I read the blog and know this to be true. He was just very truthful in his feelings about her and this particular relationship. The young man, who is 17, soon to be 18 in October, had no place to go, no Father, (he's an alcoholic) so we took him in. I suppose I'm trying to find out exactly what his legal rights are in reference to this woman, as she is constantly calling and asking to speak with him, sending him messages, mails, etc. and the young man has no desire to speak to her. She is constantly running hot and cold. One minute he's "My Dear Son", the next it's "Listen you S.O.B", and worse. I have gotten his address changed at the post office, but they tell me that she has the right to rescind this address change. I've tried to get his address changed at the High School, and they tell me that SHE has to ok this. I spoke with the liaison Officer at the School, and he tells me that he is in what is referred to as "legal age limbo", meaning, now that she has kicked him out without the Courts involvement, he no longer has to listen to her, do what she says, but she is still responsible for him legally. He could move to California if he so chooses. Now she is trying to force him into attending a behavioral weekend camp for troubled teens, which he is absolutely refusing to go to. Also, we do not want him to go, as this is just another way of her forcing something down his throat that, in our opinion, he does not need to attend.

Has SHE broken the Law, being the sole custodial Parent, by forcing him to leave his home, which I was told he did not have to do, but did so because he was scared she would call the police on him again for nothing? I have many more questions, and hope I will get a response to this particular thread, but I am so jumbled up with all the research I've been trying to do in reference to this, that I need a new light shed on the subject.

Any response would be greatly appreciated, as it will undoubtedly give me new venues to pursue.

Thanking All In Advance,
mrs.biggo
Michigan

stealth2

Under the Radar Member
You have absolutely no rights here. If Mom wanted to, she could make your life a legal hell.

Ozark_Sophist

Parents of 17 year old's often do 'force' things on their children. 17yr old's think they are independent, but parents still have the legal right to make decisions for their children. Yes, it's awful the mother kicked her son out, but that would be an issue for the state. She is still the legal parent.

Stealth is right. If you interfere with the parent/child relations, you could find yourself in "legal hell".

mrs.biggo

Thank you both Ozark and stealth for your comments. I do know that we must go to Court in order to get custody of the young man by showing her incompetence as a Mother. I'm not sure where you are located stealth, but it looks like Ozark is located in Missouri. I'm hoping to hear from someone who is located in Michigan, since most states' laws differ on this particular subject.

Here is another point I would like some input on, if possible. I was told by some pretty reliable sources, that due to the fact that she is the sole custodial parent, it was against the law for her to kick him out of the home without a court order. Can someone please tell me if this is true. If so, this gives me a pretty big leg to stand on when we do go to court.

What I am most interested in finding out is, what are HIS rights in reference to HER now that she has removed him from the home. The Police Officer I spoke with told me that he does not have to answer to her any more, that if he so chooses, he could move to California if he wanted to. So if this is the case, then it should stand to reason that he does not have to go any where or do anything that she asks or tells him to do.

Thank you all for your input. I'm hoping to hear from someone in the State of Michigan in reference to this.

mrs.biggo

Last edited:
H

happydaddyof5

you have no rights to this kid

I do know that we must go to Court in order to get custody of the young man by showing her incompetence as a Mother.
you cant. he is not your child, and you have NO legal standing. where is this kid's father?

mrs.biggo

you cant. he is not your child, and you have NO legal standing. where is this kid's father?
kelly...why didn't you leave up your prior response to my post? READ the entire original posting and you will see that I stated that he has no Father, he is an alcoholic! And what you say is not true, any RESPONSIBLE ADULT who is witness to abuse and neglect can petition the Court for "temporary emergency custody" of a minor in danger. Get a law degree before you come into these forums running your mouth off, ok? Although I do not have a law degree, I do have the presence of mind to contact Family Law to inquire as to the legalities involved. He is 17 yrs old and has a voice in the choice! She tried yesterday, Friday, to take him out of school and force him to go to some camp, came to the school with Police, and they shot her down! I was at the school, I saw it happen with my own eyes, and I saw her storm out empty handed. She COULD NOT TAKE HIM because he did not wish to go! So get your facts straight! And this is in relation to MICHIGAN LAW, he has a right to request "temporary emergency custody" be given to us because she, in essence, has abandoned him, by kicking him out, with nowhere to go, no money for support, no money for food, no clothing, etc. In Michigan, this is considered "child abandonment" by the "sole custodial parent". I have already contacted CPS, and I was told to "seek temporary emergency custody" by going to Court. So apparently, CPS knows a bit more than you do on this particular subject, thank you very much!

Last edited:

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">