• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

17 yr old runaway/move out -parents responsibilities

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

kryztalstarz

What is the name of your state?Illinois

My daughter is 17 1/2. She moved back home with me 3 months ago. Despite the love, attention and material items - she is still miserable. Prior to this she was with her father in WI for 4 years. She has not been in school for the last 3 yrs. In addition, she is used to not coming home for days, gets violent when she is home and is hanging out with people that are know drug dealers, criminals and in gangs. These people are all 25 years plus.

During the past 3 mo. here she has made a great effort to turn around. She was working full-time seasonal during that time, but now lost the job. Now she is back to old habits. This past weekend she did not come home for 2 days. I finally tracked her down and threatened using police means.

Bottom line is there are 3 options ( I think) but need advice on the law and rights / responsibilities:

1. she stays at home with me in IL and follows the rules, go to her doctor to receive family counseling and determine if any meds are necessary.

2. she want to leave on her own and go back to WI. I told her if she leaves to be on her own there I will call the police after 1 day and report her as a runaway. I believe this will also protect me as far as being responsible. In WI 18 is adult, but I thought in IL 17 is adult.

3. she stays here, continues to behave in the manner which she had and I ultimately call the police, have her removed from my home under lock out situation and DCFS takes her to foster care.

I have tried to maintain conversations vs. yelling matches and avoid the police. That was her fathers tactics and the poice laughed. She is treatened my life if I turn her in. The people she is associated with are bad, I mean carry guns and rob people. Crazy things. I am worried about her safety and the safety of myself and my husband.

What are my rights and responsibilities in IL. How do I protect myself? I really feel like I need police intervention but I am not confident that they will help based upon the experiences her father had.

Please help.... :(

justalayman

Well #2 won't work. You cannot free yourself from liability by claiming she ran away, especially if you had agreed to this set-up previously.
(6 months to go)
I like #1 if it will work but you give the impression it won't.
(6 months to go)
#3 seems to be your only choice but they may not want her either. In this
(6 months to go)
case you are kind of stuck taking care of your child until she is 18.
(6 months to go)
Now if she were to leave on her own and you didn't turn her in, this
(6 months to go)
would not absolve you of any responsibility but nobody would look for her
and after 6 months you would then have no responsibility for her.

Sorry I can offer no more help than this. Hang on and hopefully another here wil come to your rescue.

BTW: only 6 months to go

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">