• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

17 yr old vandal and nothing I can do?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

fedupwithyouth

What is the name of your state? West Virginia

A 17 year old boy broke into our home and vandalized two boats that were parked outside. The covers were burned, the interior of one boat was burned and the other was covered with spray from a fire extinguisher. So far inside the home we have found a light that is missing and a large knife. The police have told us since he is a minor with "mental issues" (which haven't been medically validated) there is nothing we can do. I'm afraid this person will return and succeed in burning down the home and finish destroying the boats. What can I do?

quincy

The age of majority in West Virginia is 18 and he is 17, so he is still, supposedly, under his parents' control. Have you considered taking the parents to court?

fedupwithyouth

He lives with his grandmother, apparently his parents have abandoned him, so I don't think there is anyone to sue. I've been advised to press charges and at least have him put in some kind of juvenile facility or at least make him pay restitution. I'm afraid he will return and finish the job if he's not held accountable.

quincy

I agree that something needs to be done. That was some pretty serious stuff he did at your house.

Have you spoken with the grandmother? This kid obviously needs some help, and perhaps discussing options with her is a possibility. The grandmother is probably open to suggestions from you at this point, too.

I personally am not fond of putting kids in juvenile facilities, but, quite frankly, that may be the best place for him.

Hopefully others will post with better suggestions.

albert.coleman6

Insist on filing a police report, then file a claim with your insurance company. If the officer refuses to take your report, then go to the station and complain to them.

Tell his grandmother that you do not want to see him near your property again and will call the police if you see him. If he shows up again, call 911.

What he did to your boats is bad enough, and you are right to worry about further damage, especially knowing that he has a history of mental issues. Taking this seriously and pursue the incident as far as you can. The police have a duty to protect you and your property, regardless of the child's "mental issues."

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">