• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

17f traveling with 19m

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Cleo342E

Our 17 year old daughter has a 19 year old boyfriend. Spring break is coming and they want to go somewhere together. Neither set of parents are able to take time off from work, but the 'kids' have their hearts set on going somewhere together. We tossed around some ideas (I wasn't serious) but to my surprise, they contacted 'grandpa' who lives in Florida who has agreed to let them visit him. We live in Illinois and they would drive! What is the law regarding a 17 year old girl traveling across multiple states with a 19 year old boy?

HomeGuru

Cleo342E said:
Our 17 year old daughter has a 19 year old boyfriend. Spring break is coming and they want to go somewhere together. Neither set of parents are able to take time off from work, but the 'kids' have their hearts set on going somewhere together. We tossed around some ideas (I wasn't serious) but to my surprise, they contacted 'grandpa' who lives in Florida who has agreed to let them visit him. We live in Illinois and they would drive! What is the law regarding a 17 year old girl traveling across multiple states with a 19 year old boy?

**A: the law is whatever you say. If no, then the law is no. By the way, you are not saying yes right?

rmet4nzkx

From No IL to Key West is approx 24 hr drive and 1500 miles, figure cost to drive is about $.30 per mile plus 2 motel overnites each way. That's at Least $900 for the cost of the drive plus cost of food and lodging during the trip and while they stay with the grandparent and 2-3 days to play once there. The cost of 2 RT flights from Chicago to FL should be less than than and without wheels once in FL their wings should be somewhat clipped. Do they have enough money to make such a trip? 17 is a little young for the traditional Spring break, the police will be on the lookout for underage drinkers, which will cost more money. I once stayed in a hotel in Ft. L FL during a different holiday weekend, the police actually had substations set up in hotels along the strip.

HomeGuru

rmet4nzkx said:
From No IL to Key West is approx 24 hr drive and 1500 miles, figure cost to drive is about $.30 per mile plus 2 motel overnites each way. That's at Least $900 for the cost of the drive plus cost of food and lodging during the trip and while they stay with the grandparent and 2-3 days to play once there. The cost of 2 RT flights from Chicago to FL should be less than than and without wheels once in FL their wings should be somewhat clipped. Do they have enough money to make such a trip? 17 is a little young for the traditional Spring break, the police will be on the lookout for underage drinkers, which will cost more money. I once stayed in a hotel in Ft. L FL during a different holiday weekend, the police actually had substations set up in hotels along the strip.

**A: wow, that's good investigative reporting.

Wolflmg

stealth2 said:
With your permission, there's no issue at all. But I think it's a rather foolish idea.
I kind of have to agree. Mainly for the fect that they will have to over night at a motel, alone together, and knowing how teenagers are, they will probably take advantage of the alone time, which could lead to the possibility of your daughter becoming pregnant.

rmet4nzkx

HomeGuru said:
**A: wow, that's good investigative reporting.
I was hopeing that by confronting them with the facts, they may decide touring the "Field Museum", "Museum of Science & Industry", " Shedd Aquarium", the "Lincoln Park and Brookfield Zoos" "Art Institute of Chicago" and the "Navy Pier" would keep them busy and out of trouble since they can't drink anyway, which of course is what they were going to do on spring break.:rolleyes:

Wolflmg said:
I kind of have to agree. Mainly for the fect that they will have to over night at a motel, alone together, and knowing how teenagers are, they will probably take advantage of the alone time, which could lead to the possibility of your daughter becoming pregnant.

Yeah, I remember being 19 (about a million years ago). I was a "goodie-2-shoes", but even so, in that situation, I'd go into the "how can anything that feels so good, be bad" mentality. :rolleyes:

Last edited:
S

shell007

What happened to the "GOOD OLD DAYS" of waiting until AFTER the wedding to go on a "HONEYMOON"!!!:

Cleo342E

Thanks for all the advice and the sanity check! After posting the scenario out to all of you, I soon 'woke up' and thought 'what was I thinking'. :eek: Who's the parent here anyway. I told my daughter no and I'm happy to report that she said "I know". Maybe they were just testing me, but the case is closed. I'm going to suggest a long weekend - with parental supervision. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">