• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

17F trying to Emancipate to live with 21M?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

vibex

I live in Oregon and I am 17. I have been having lots and lots of family problems that people dont know about. In short I take a lot of verbal abuse from my mom who messed up her life and wants to live through me, and my dad supports her fully. I have been seeing a shrink to try and workout "MY" problems, but my parents dont seem to be required to attend. I get lots of verbal/emotional abuse from my mom and dad. Its continual, everyday.

I am a junior in highscool and by the end of this year I will have about 1/2 a credit maybe 1 to get. I get continual threats about being kept full 4 years of Highschool, because thats what they want, instead of graduating early or going to alternative school to pickup a HS to get my diploma a year early. but noooo. They are also very picky and critical on who I am with.
I had tried to calmly talk to my parents about whats going on and all my nights crying from what they say, I ended up going to the doctor, put on meds and weekly on tues at 2:30 I sit and talk out "MY" problems.

So now to the problem that worries me most...my boyfriend. We have been together almost 1 year, and he just turned 21, within days ago. I have spent almost everyday with him, and I will agree I have drifted away from my parents some. Schoool was really an issue for me, I just wanted to end Highschool and focus on working part-time and attending community college till I got some money saved and things situated. I had mentioned, wanting to get emancipated and moving out to her, and she blew up. I am now given daily required chores from my mom. Now I feel like I am her maid :[ it feels like child abuse. My mom is threating me with getting him in trouble for us being "together" if I dont follow every rule she sets in stone now. Or if I even try to get emancipated.

I won't keep blabbering about my problems. I need to know if there is some thing I can do for emancipation and not getting him in trouble.
I looked at the process for it in Oregon, from what it shows I need to show I am able to take care of myself financially for the most part.

Im not sure at what all they will look at. For a 17 yr old I feel I am a bit ahead of my peers.

- 1 solid year work history
- I have 3.0 GPA at school
- I am almost a full year early on graduating
- I work partime 15 hrs a week, I asked for more shifts and was told I could get them if I wanted. Which I would If I could get out.
- I have my own car, 99' my car insurance is a bit high though

*** I also have text messages from my dad, and a voicemail from him threating me and my boyfriend saved *** wonder if those can sway things much?

I turn 18 in 7 months but I dont think I can last to be honest?? any tips??

Wolflmg

No judge is going to grant your request just so you can live with your adult boyfriend. In order to become emanciapted, you need to support yourself 100%, meaning you would have to live alone, and pay the rent by yourself.

I suggest wait until your 18 and then live with him.

Neal1421

vibex said:
I live in Oregon and I am 17. I have been having lots and lots of family problems that people dont know about. In short I take a lot of verbal abuse from my mom who messed up her life and wants to live through me, and my dad supports her fully. I have been seeing a shrink to try and workout "MY" problems, but my parents dont seem to be required to attend. I get lots of verbal/emotional abuse from my mom and dad. Its continual, everyday.

I am a junior in highscool and by the end of this year I will have about 1/2 a credit maybe 1 to get. I get continual threats about being kept full 4 years of Highschool, because thats what they want, instead of graduating early or going to alternative school to pickup a HS to get my diploma a year early. but noooo. They are also very picky and critical on who I am with.
I had tried to calmly talk to my parents about whats going on and all my nights crying from what they say, I ended up going to the doctor, put on meds and weekly on tues at 2:30 I sit and talk out "MY" problems.

So now to the problem that worries me most...my boyfriend. We have been together almost 1 year, and he just turned 21, within days ago. I have spent almost everyday with him, and I will agree I have drifted away from my parents some. Schoool was really an issue for me, I just wanted to end Highschool and focus on working part-time and attending community college till I got some money saved and things situated. I had mentioned, wanting to get emancipated and moving out to her, and she blew up. I am now given daily required chores from my mom. Now I feel like I am her maid :[ it feels like child abuse. My mom is threating me with getting him in trouble for us being "together" if I dont follow every rule she sets in stone now. Or if I even try to get emancipated.

I won't keep blabbering about my problems. I need to know if there is some thing I can do for emancipation and not getting him in trouble.
I looked at the process for it in Oregon, from what it shows I need to show I am able to take care of myself financially for the most part.

Im not sure at what all they will look at. For a 17 yr old I feel I am a bit ahead of my peers.

- 1 solid year work history
- I have 3.0 GPA at school
- I am almost a full year early on graduating
- I work partime 15 hrs a week, I asked for more shifts and was told I could get them if I wanted. Which I would If I could get out.
- I have my own car, 99' my car insurance is a bit high though

*** I also have text messages from my dad, and a voicemail from him threating me and my boyfriend saved *** wonder if those can sway things much?

I turn 18 in 7 months but I dont think I can last to be honest?? any tips??

7 months really isn't that long to wait. Wait it out until you're of age and then move out. As said before, no judge is going to emancipate you so you can go live with your boyfriend.

It would probably take you longer to get emancipated than it will to turn 18. That is, if you qualified... and you don't.

You can move out the day you turn 18.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">