• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

17yf 20ym living together

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

fargone

State of Texas

My questions are mostly regarding the legal ramifications if I were to let my 17yr old girlfriend move in with me.

Now, she has a horrible home life etc. but of course that doesn't really determine any of the legality so I won't go into details about that.

What I want to know is, my girlfriend (not emancipated mind you, yes I did some research) wants to move in with me, being in the state of TX I have gotten some mixed results as per the legality of myself housing a possible "runaway". She plans on leaving without notifying her parents first( I personally don't agree with this but she insists it's the only way and plans to reconcile after things have calmed down). Being a "runaway" and 17 in Texas seems to offer her the ability to not be forced home by any officers that might attempt to do so - this is one of the mixed results I was speaking of. If, for whatever reason they can't force her to return to her parents house, what legal problems - if any will I have to endure being an adult with said minor.

If they can force her to return( I assume they will be the same) what will be the legal ramifications of such a situation?

I want to get all my ducks in a row before I give her an answer - although I'd love for it to be a yes...

Happy Trails

fargone said:
State of Texas

My questions are mostly regarding the legal ramifications if I were to let my 17yr old girlfriend move in with me.

Now, she has a horrible home life etc. but of course that doesn't really determine any of the legality so I won't go into details about that.

What I want to know is, my girlfriend (not emancipated mind you, yes I did some research) wants to move in with me, being in the state of TX I have gotten some mixed results as per the legality of myself housing a possible "runaway". She plans on leaving without notifying her parents first( I personally don't agree with this but she insists it's the only way and plans to reconcile after things have calmed down). Being a "runaway" and 17 in Texas seems to offer her the ability to not be forced home by any officers that might attempt to do so - this is one of the mixed results I was speaking of. If, for whatever reason they can't force her to return to her parents house, what legal problems - if any will I have to endure being an adult with said minor.

If they can force her to return( I assume they will be the same) what will be the legal ramifications of such a situation?

I want to get all my ducks in a row before I give her an answer - although I'd love for it to be a yes...
Take your time putting all the ducks in a row and hopefully she'll turn 18 before you put the last one down.

fargone

Happy Trails said:
Take your time putting all the ducks in a row and hopefully she'll turn 18 before you put the last one down.

I suspected I'd receive some advice like this. My own fault really, if she doesn't move in with me she will move in with another legal adult, 19ym. Obviously I'd much rather have her living with me, I'm financially secure, he most certainly isn't. I can and want to provide her with a much better environment than he can/will. So...back to the legality of the situation, any real advice?

stealth2

Under the Radar Member
It is entirely possible that you could be found to be contributing to the delinquency of a minor. 'Cause you, like, would be.

Happy Trails

fargone said:
I suspected I'd receive some advice like this. My own fault really, if she doesn't move in with me she will move in with another legal adult, 19ym. Obviously I'd much rather have her living with me, I'm financially secure, he most certainly isn't. I can and want to provide her with a much better environment than he can/will. So...back to the legality of the situation, any real advice?
So if she can't runaway and live with you, her boyfriend, she is going to move in with another guy.

Let him take the heat.

If you like this girl so much, don't you want to get along with her parents?

fargone

Happy Trails said:
So if she can't runaway and live with you, her boyfriend, she is going to move in with another guy.

Let him take the heat.

If you like this girl so much, don't you want to get along with her parents?
Ya, I contemplated doing that to be honest - have her move in with him and see what happens then go from there.

As far as her parents go I'd most certainly would love for them to like me but that ship sailed long ago, found out i had a suicide attempt 6 years prior to knowing thier daughter...i became an unstable person to them within a matter of days so....ya they let us see eachtoher still but theres an air of mistrust now.

THanks so far for the advice

AHA

fargone said:
Ya, I contemplated doing that to be honest - have her move in with him and see what happens then go from there.
And who exactly is this other guy????? She's one busy little teen isn't she:eek: :confused: , you really want to hook up with that?

cbg

I'm a Northern Girl
By real advice, I take you mean, someone say what you want to hear?

Just because the age of consent is 17 doesn't mean you couldn't be charged with a number of things. The fact that no one is giving you permission to have a child move in with you does not make the advice you have received any less real. Or correct.

HomeGuru

cbg said:
By real advice, I take you mean, someone say what you want to hear?

Just because the age of consent is 17 doesn't mean you couldn't be charged with a number of things. The fact that no one is giving you permission to have a child move in with you does not make the advice you have received any less real. Or correct.

**A: and I also stand behind that post.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">