• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

17yr old nose broken by 23yr old

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

KBLacey

What is the name of your state? Oregon

My 17yr old son got into a fist-fight with other 17yr old on Sunday. The other kid called my son on Monday and apoligized. Monday night, a group of boys/men tried to get both to fight again, my son tried to talk to the other boy but the crowd wouldn't let him through. A 23yr old man stepped in front of my son, pushed him and told him to get out. When my son continued to try get through, the 23yr old punched my son so hard his nose is sliced open from the outside and broken inside. On our way to the doctor for xrays and stiches, estimated cost to be about $200+. My husband wants to press Aggravated Battery charges against the 23yr old. Should we?

fairisfair

Your son got punched in the face on Monday and you are just now taking him to the doctor and wondering about contacting the police? have you been sleeping for the last two days??

Of course you should. Assuming this is what really happened. I mean we wouldn't want Junior to be getting into any additional trouble now would we?

Oh and you might want to mention to him how incredibly stupid it was to try to confront the other kid again, especially in a mob environment.

BelizeBreeze

KBLacey said:
What is the name of your state? Oregon

My 17yr old son got into a fist-fight with other 17yr old on Sunday. The other kid called my son on Monday and apoligized. Monday night, a group of boys/men tried to get both to fight again, my son tried to talk to the other boy but the crowd wouldn't let him through. A 23yr old man stepped in front of my son, pushed him and told him to get out. When my son continued to try get through, the 23yr old punched my son so hard his nose is sliced open from the outside and broken inside. On our way to the doctor for xrays and stiches, estimated cost to be about $200+. My husband wants to press Aggravated Battery charges against the 23yr old. Should we?
should you what? Press charges against the 23 year-old for defending himself against your son's battery?

Because that's how it's going to play out.

KBLacey

fairisfair said:
Your son got punched in the face on Monday and you are just now taking him to the doctor and wondering about contacting the police? have you been sleeping for the last two days??
Yes, I know, the doctor was wondering the same thing. But my son got home around 11pm Monday night, I made sure it was him and went back to sleep. He did not mention his nose or the fight because he knew he'd get an earful from us, plus, he thought it would be okay by the next day. He's out of the house by 6:15am for school every day, so we only saw him late last night (Tuesday). Hence today's doctor appt.

xylene

so basically...

1) Your son is out of control.
2) You have no idea of his wherabouts at most times.
3) He is getting in fights with peers and adults.
4) He was in a "crowd" of people settling a dispute...
5) He is "out" until late on weeknights with no explanation...

Tell your son to get a job to pay YOU back the medical bills, that he needs to grow his ass up, and he was lucky that get got a wake-up punch rather than stabbed in the neck.

Talk it out... what a joke.

Open your eyes. Your son is soon to be an adult, and he has a long way to go.

KBLacey

xylene said:
so basically...

1) Your son is out of control.
2) You have no idea of his wherabouts at most times.
3) He is getting in fights with peers and adults.
4) He was in a "crowd" of people settling a dispute...
5) He is "out" until late on weeknights with no explanation...

Tell your son to get a job to pay YOU back the medical bills, that he needs to grow his ass up, and he was lucky that get got a wake-up punch rather than stabbed in the neck.

Talk it out... what a joke.

Open your eyes. Your son is soon to be an adult, and he has a long way to go.
Sorry, I was just looking for legal advice, not parenting advice. I believe there is another forum for that elsewhere. And yes, we did all the yelling, talking and grounding needed, thank you very much.

It would take me a whole story to explain the why's of each of your 5 statements, first thing being our culture/religion so I can't do that here without taking up a lot of time and space. I know why he was at the place with the rest of the people and why he was out late, I didn't think I needed to post all the details for everyone.

averad

KBLacey said:
Sorry, I was just looking for legal advice, not parenting advice. I believe there is another forum for that elsewhere. And yes, we did all the yelling, talking and grounding needed, thank you very much.

It would take me a whole story to explain the why's of each of your 5 statements, first thing being our culture/religion so I can't do that here without taking up a lot of time and space. I know why he was at the place with the rest of the people and why he was out late, I didn't think I needed to post all the details for everyone.
I would like to apologize for everyone, we where not aware you were in the "fight club" religion/culture.

xylene

My post is legal advice

KBLacey said:

Your son is still a minor.

YOU are responsible for him

Your sons story has more holes than swiss cheese.

It is telling that you are on here saying this is something about your culture... A culture of whining.

Your son got in a fight, sought to continue that fight, and was restrained, and then struck in self defense. Period.

CdwJava

Certainly you can report it. Keep in mind that the other fellow will likely have a different version of events and both sides will have friends that will line up on both sides of the fence. So it will be almost impossible to determine "beyond a reasonable doubt" (as required for a conviction at trial) who is the aggressor and who is the victim.

But, you might get lucky and the 23-year-old might admit to popping your boy because he looked at him funny - then the delf defense argument would go out the window ... he might be that dumb - I've seen it happen before.

The bottom line in these cases TENDS to be that charges are brought against no one, or against everyone. So be prepared for one of those two events to occur.

- Carl

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">