• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

18 Year-old Son Busted Drinking

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

williarp

What is the name of your state?
PA
My 18 year-old son had just arrived at a friends house, had about 3 beers, when a policeman showed up at the front door (pparently a neighbor called because of the amount of noise). The policeman gave everyone a breathalizer test and my son failed. He later received a $421.00 citation in the mail for under-age drinking. My question is: I want to plead Not Guilty, but how do I argue my case? And if I fail, will they add suspension of his license?

seniorjudge

Q: My question is: I want to plead Not Guilty, but how do I argue my case?

A: If you are a lawyer, then you should've learned that in law school. If you are not a lawyer, you will not be arguing any case.

Q: And if I fail, will they add suspension of his license?

A: Do you mean, "If my son is found guilty will his driver's license be suspended?" If that is what you mean, then the answer is, "Probably." If that is not what you mean, then rephrase the question.

williarp

OK, I guess I should have asked "What should I do once I get in front of the Judge with my son?" (besides the obvious; have son show up in clean clothes, shaven, no cell phone, etc.). My son is basically a good kid, does well in school, has a job. Do I have a chance of getting the fine down to an affordable amount or even 0?

Shay-Pari'e

OK, I guess I should have asked "What should I do once I get in front of the Judge with my son?" (besides the obvious; have son show up in clean clothes, shaven, no cell phone, etc.). My son is basically a good kid, does well in school, has a job. Do I have a chance of getting the fine down to an affordable amount or even 0?

If he is 18, he is in front of the judge, not you.

BL

Be a good Parent , teach you kid to own up to it , take the consequences of his actions, learn from it , and move on .

The Breathalyzer was given , the PO has made a report , etc.

The Court might be lenient , if you kid shows some remorse .

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">