• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

18 years old.. parents wont let me see boyfriend

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

shrtness05

What is the name of your state?Virginia

Hi, I am 18 years old and I have been dating this guy for 4 years. He is currently 19. My parents have recently forbidden me from seeing him or talking to him. They changed my cell phone number and took it away, and told my boyfriend if he calls our house again they will have him charged with harrassment. My dad also threatened to arrest him (my dad is a Virginia State Trooper). My parents will not allow me out of the house, unless it is to go to school because they are afraid I'll see him, and they have taken away my phone because they are afraid I will call him. They have no reason to do this, when I ask why they say they were sick of him calling here a lot. I was wondering if they can legally keep me from seeing him since I am 18. And if i were to leave, could they make me come back? I really do not want to move out because I am going to college in the fall and my parents are paying for it.. but I was wondering if anyone knows of any ways that I could possibly fight this.

S

seniorjudge

shrtness05 said:
What is the name of your state?Virginia

Hi, I am 18 years old and I have been dating this guy for 4 years. He is currently 19. My parents have recently forbidden me from seeing him or talking to him. They changed my cell phone number and took it away, and told my boyfriend if he calls our house again they will have him charged with harrassment. My dad also threatened to arrest him (my dad is a Virginia State Trooper). My parents will not allow me out of the house, unless it is to go to school because they are afraid I'll see him, and they have taken away my phone because they are afraid I will call him. They have no reason to do this, when I ask why they say they were sick of him calling here a lot. I was wondering if they can legally keep me from seeing him since I am 18. And if i were to leave, could they make me come back? I really do not want to move out because I am going to college in the fall and my parents are paying for it.. but I was wondering if anyone knows of any ways that I could possibly fight this.

Go get a full time job and support yourself 100% and you will be emancipated.

Wolflmg

Well your are 18, an adult I don't think they can keep you from seeing him, however you are living under their roof and they are paying for college for you. So you have two options either move out or do as your parents say.
I don't think they can press harsment charges on him. If you end up going to court, they would ask for your side of the story.

My adivice would be talk to your parents.

Do you have any idea as to why they don't want him to be around you?
Is he a bad influance?
Does he drink or do drugs?

stealth2

Under the Radar Member
Well, you can't have it both ways. You can either follow your parents' rules and accept their largesse in housing you and then paying for college, or you can become independent and see your boyfriend. Your choice.

cbg

I'm a Northern Girl
She may be already 18, but she is still living under her parent's roof and accepting their financial support. Therefore, she is not yet "emancipated" in the sense that she is independent.

Her choices are as stealth indicated; she can move out of the house, pay for her own living expenses, pay her own college expenses, and see her boyfriend; or she can stay where she is, allow her parents to pay all her expenses, and follow the rules they set down which include not seeing her boyfriend.

She does not get to accept her parent's support when it is convenient for her, and then blow them off when it isn't.

Shay-Pari'e

I agree 100 % with Stealth. I was stating she is legally emancipated if she decides to foolishly up and leave. There is no stopping that.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">