+ Reply to Thread
    shrtness05 is offline Junior Member

18 years old.. parents wont let me see boyfriend

What is the name of your state?Virginia

Hi, I am 18 years old and I have been dating this guy for 4 years. He is currently 19. My parents have recently forbidden me from seeing him or talking to him. They changed my cell phone number and took it away, and told my boyfriend if he calls our house again they will have him charged with harrassment. My dad also threatened to arrest him (my dad is a Virginia State Trooper). My parents will not allow me out of the house, unless it is to go to school because they are afraid I'll see him, and they have taken away my phone because they are afraid I will call him. They have no reason to do this, when I ask why they say they were sick of him calling here a lot. I was wondering if they can legally keep me from seeing him since I am 18. And if i were to leave, could they make me come back? I really do not want to move out because I am going to college in the fall and my parents are paying for it.. but I was wondering if anyone knows of any ways that I could possibly fight this.
    seniorjudge Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by shrtness05
    What is the name of your state?Virginia

Hi, I am 18 years old and I have been dating this guy for 4 years. He is currently 19. My parents have recently forbidden me from seeing him or talking to him. They changed my cell phone number and took it away, and told my boyfriend if he calls our house again they will have him charged with harrassment. My dad also threatened to arrest him (my dad is a Virginia State Trooper). My parents will not allow me out of the house, unless it is to go to school because they are afraid I'll see him, and they have taken away my phone because they are afraid I will call him. They have no reason to do this, when I ask why they say they were sick of him calling here a lot. I was wondering if they can legally keep me from seeing him since I am 18. And if i were to leave, could they make me come back? I really do not want to move out because I am going to college in the fall and my parents are paying for it.. but I was wondering if anyone knows of any ways that I could possibly fight this.

Go get a full time job and support yourself 100% and you will be emancipated.
    Wolflmg is offline Member
    Well your are 18, an adult I don't think they can keep you from seeing him, however you are living under their roof and they are paying for college for you. So you have two options either move out or do as your parents say.
    I don't think they can press harsment charges on him. If you end up going to court, they would ask for your side of the story.

My adivice would be talk to your parents.

Do you have any idea as to why they don't want him to be around you?
    Is he a bad influance?
    Does he drink or do drugs?
    stealth2 is offline Senior Member
    Well, you can't have it both ways. You can either follow your parents' rules and accept their largesse in housing you and then paying for college, or you can become independent and see your boyfriend. Your choice.
    Shay-Pari'e is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by seniorjudge
    Go get a full time job and support yourself 100% and you will be emancipated.
    Judgy,

She's already 18.
    cbg
    cbg is offline Senior Member
    She may be already 18, but she is still living under her parent's roof and accepting their financial support. Therefore, she is not yet "emancipated" in the sense that she is independent.

Her choices are as stealth indicated; she can move out of the house, pay for her own living expenses, pay her own college expenses, and see her boyfriend; or she can stay where she is, allow her parents to pay all her expenses, and follow the rules they set down which include not seeing her boyfriend.

She does not get to accept her parent's support when it is convenient for her, and then blow them off when it isn't.
    stealth2 is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by cbg
    She does not get to accept her parent's support when it is convenient for her, and then blow them off when it isn't.
    ..... .....
    Shay-Pari'e is offline Senior Member
    I agree 100 % with Stealth. I was stating she is legally emancipated if she decides to foolishly up and leave. There is no stopping that.
    seniorjudge Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by --PARIDISE--
    Judgy,

She's already 18.
    That's why I told her to go get a job!