• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

18 yr old moving in with friend - legal responsibilities

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Daytodayhorror

Situation:
-we are in NY state
-18yr old daughter (of me (stepdad) and mom (has custody)) refuses to comply with rules set at home (be home on school nights bafore 12, do homework, not skip school etc)
-was told she had to move out if she doesn't stay home on school nights for the next 2 weeks to do her schoolwork to be able to graduate (grades are bad)
-response: hanging out with friends more important than graduating
-her father (mom/dad divorced) agreed to let her stay if she needs a place

Problem:
-she decided to "move in" with 16yr old pothead instead

Question:
-Do the parents of the girl she "moved in" with take any kind of (legal) reponsibility by letting her stay there ? (at this point it is questionable if they even know she "moved in" - they might think she's just staying the night as she did before)

-We basically would like to know what the girl's parents need to know/ do if our daughter stays there.

-Can they be held responsible for anything she does (or doesn't do) there i.e. Smoking pot, getting drunk, not going to school etc ?

Any help, advice, or links to useful pages covering this issue would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks in advance

BelizeBreeze

The age of majority in New York is 21.

Call the police and report her as a runaway then slap her defiant ass in juvy.

Daytodayhorror

Shay-Pari'e said:
She is 18 and liable for her own actions.
This is "fine and dandy" - but we are still not happy about the place she has chosen to stay at. (and aslong as she is under 21 in NY we don't have to be)

BelizeBreeze said:
...Call the police and report her as a runaway then slap her defiant ass in juvy.
We obviously care about her and doubt this would be helpful to the situation.
As indicated through my questions we want to know what the parents of the girl she stays with need to be aware of (laws, regulations etc) so we can let them know/ point them out - and they hopefully decide its not worth the trouble.

Either way thanks for your quick replies. I look forward to anyone else's ideas.

steveatx

Daytodayhorror said:
Then you should contact the State of New York and tell them the information on their website is wrong.

http://www.cqc.state.ny.us/Advocacy/pagrdfaq.htm

Give the Department of Defense a ring while you're at it.

http://www.dod.mil/comptroller/fmr/07b/07b_appendix_h.pdf

Their information is a little more reliable than the "Tangled Moon Coven." No wonder she ran away, her parents are morons and/or witches.

Last edited:

BelizeBreeze

steveatx

BelizeBreeze said:
The AGE of majority for purposes of THIS thread is 21....now, why would I say such a thing?:rolleyes:
Is there a state form available online with this information? I have been looking around, to no avail....

Daytodayhorror

OK there seems to be conflicting information about this - so its 18.
This still doesn't answer my question.

Maybe i have to ask differently ?
What responsibilities do i assume when i let someone (18yrs old) live in my house ?

BelizeBreeze

Daytodayhorror said:
OK there seems to be conflicting information about this - so its 18.
This still doesn't answer my question.

Maybe i have to ask differently ?
What responsibilities do i assume when i let someone (18yrs old) live in my house ?
You are not asking the wrong question. You are asking for the wrong reasons.

Although your CHILD is legally responsible for herself at this point in life, New York does NOT absolve you from financial responsibility of support until she reaches the age of 21.

Therefore, unless she is emancipated you are still on the hook for her financially.

Now, as to what to do, I would immediately file a petition to emancipate her butt. get the drift?

Daytodayhorror

steveatx said:
......Their information is a little more reliable than the "Tangled Moon Coven." No wonder she ran away, her parents are morons and/or witches.
Neither.
Simply looking for a way to help someone we care about to not make the wrong decissions.

You however don't seem to be able to display a mentionable ammount of intelligence - as you are sadly incapable of understanding my post well enough to see that she didn't "run away".

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">