• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

18 yr old still in HS in Ct

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

katmarie

What is the name of your state? CT

Hello, I am new to this forum, I am the mom of 4 teen boys and one of my boys who is 17 and will turn 18 in November is Bipolar and has gotten himself into all kinds of trouble. He is a bully to us all at home and makes home life miserable for us all. He is currently on trial for some larceny and burglary charges and the pubilc defender thinks she might be able to get him off without jail time. meanwhile my son, who I love very much, but don't like his behavior is refusing to take his medication and has asked a 15 year old girl to marry him. He failed his junior year of high school and so when he goes back in the fall it will be as a almost 18 year old junior and will be 19 1/2 by the time he graduates. What are the laws as far as our responsibility for where he lives. Part of me wants to "kick him out" when he turns 18 if he won't shape up, but since he will still be in High School can I even do that. Plus he is threatening to leave on his own and if he does that can we make him stay, or are we responsible for him in any way? I know it sounds like I am on both sides of this, and I am. Part of me wants to nurture him and try to ignore all the terror and financially difficulties he has caused and the the other part of me wants him to shape up or ship out. I don't mean to come off sounding cold, I just really want to know my legal obligations and options so I can make sure I am covered from that perspective.:confused:

Thanks,
Kathleen

Happy Trails

katmarie said:
What is the name of your state? CT

Hello, I am new to this forum, I am the mom of 4 teen boys and one of my boys who is 17 and will turn 18 in November is Bipolar and has gotten himself into all kinds of trouble. He is a bully to us all at home and makes home life miserable for us all. He is currently on trial for some larceny and burglary charges and the pubilc defender thinks she might be able to get him off without jail time. meanwhile my son, who I love very much, but don't like his behavior is refusing to take his medication and has asked a 15 year old girl to marry him. He failed his junior year of high school and so when he goes back in the fall it will be as a almost 18 year old junior and will be 19 1/2 by the time he graduates. What are the laws as far as our responsibility for where he lives. Part of me wants to "kick him out" when he turns 18 if he won't shape up, but since he will still be in High School can I even do that. Plus he is threatening to leave on his own and if he does that can we make him stay, or are we responsible for him in any way? I know it sounds like I am on both sides of this, and I am. Part of me wants to nurture him and try to ignore all the terror and financially difficulties he has caused and the the other part of me wants him to shape up or ship out. I don't mean to come off sounding cold, I just really want to know my legal obligations and options so I can make sure I am covered from that perspective.:confused:

Thanks,
Kathleen
When he turns 18, he will be considered a legal adult.

From Connecticut statutes:

Sec. 1-1d. "Minor", "infant", "infancy", "age of majority", defined. Except as otherwise provided by statute, on and after October 1, 1972, the terms "minor", "infant" and "infancy" shall be deemed to refer to a person under the age of eighteen years and any person eighteen years of age or over shall be an adult for all purposes whatsoever and have the same legal capacity, rights, powers, privileges, duties, liabilities and responsibilities as persons heretofore had at twenty-one years of age, and "age of majority" shall be deemed to be eighteen years.

(1972, P.A. 127, S. 1.)

Cited. 165 C. 251. Court ordered support for a minor child terminates when child reaches eighteen. 168 C. 144. Cited. 171 C. 23, 29. In contempt action for support it is law set forth in statutes rather than contract which imposes obligations for support; no statutory authority to grant support for person over eighteen. 177 C. 47, 49, 51, 52. Cited. Id., 327, 329, 330, 333. Cited. 180 C. 252, 254; 181 C. 463, 466, 471. Cited. 184 C. 36, 46; Id., 121, 134. Cited. 185 C. 156, 160. Cited. 187 C. 6, 18. Cited. 190 C. 141, 142.

Cited. 1 CA 578, 580, 581. Cited. 8 CA 76, 79; Id., 607, 612. Cited. 10 CA 147, 153. Cited. 19 CA 146, 154.

katmarie

Thanks

Thank you for the replyies. It is a tough situation I never thought I would be in and I appreciate the information.

Katmarie

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">