• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

20 yrs old and got my third minor consumption

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

josh1021

What is the name of your state? Minnesota

I am 20 yrs old and I have recently gotten my third minor consumption (all n the same county) and now have a court date. I also have a urinating in public and an open container from last year (both which I paid the fine right away). I was wondering if anyone has any idea of what the judge could sentence me to... any idea close would help. i just want an idea.
Thank you!

CourtClerk

Judges generally do not like putting teenagers in county jail for alcohol violations. A fine, alcohol course, suspended sentence, maybe a night in jail, and additional probation is more likely.
Since your answer goes directly against the statute, would you care to cite the legal reference for your answer????

Some Random Guy

suspended sentence?

That's three MICs and urinating in public and an open container - and that's just for the fraction of the offenses for which you were caught! You are begging to be made an example of. It should be obvious to the court by now that you have an alcohol problem and have no intention of following the law.

I would suggest AA meetings would be a good first step. Without your making concrete steps to change your behavior, the system will see no reason for leniency.

josh1021

ya i know it looks really bad
this has all been done in a span of 2 years and i did have an alcohol problem in my freshmen yr of college but now since this 3rd minor i have been sober and really dont plan on drinking until i am of age.
would they anounce or discuss my passed offenses (urinating in public and open bottle) because my parents may come and i dont want them to know about those. dont want to disappoint them:eek:
thanks guys for the feedback!

CourtClerk

this has all been done in a span of 2 years and i did have an alcohol problem in my freshmen yr of college but now since this 3rd minor i have been sober and really dont plan on drinking until i am of age.
You shouldn't plan on drinking ever. Just because you reach the magic age of 21 doesn't mean you are mature enough to handle it. I guarantee you your next offense will be a DUI.
would they anounce or discuss my passed offenses (urinating in public and open bottle) because my parents may come and i dont want them to know about those. dont want to disappoint them:eek:
Your prior convictions will be an issue, so you need to come clean to your parents now. Let them deal with it in private instead of in a courtroom...

Ohiogal

Queen Bee
You have a problem with alcohol. It doens't go away because you hit the age of 21. You are an alcoholic. Many people get through until their 21 birthday without ANY MICs. You don't want your parents to know about your alcohol abuse? Oh by the way, your college can also take action against you if they so choose. And depending on your major you may find yourself unable to get a job. Teaching comes to mind. As does anything in law enforcement.

Ohiogal

Queen Bee
You shouldn't plan on drinking ever. Just because you reach the magic age of 21 doesn't mean you are mature enough to handle it. I guarantee you your next offense will be a DUI.

Your prior convictions will be an issue, so you need to come clean to your parents now. Let them deal with it in private instead of in a courtroom...
Actually his parents may not find out. He is not a minor but is considered an adult -- over the age of 18. His parents have no legal responsibility for this.

josh1021

Thank you all for your concerns, however, I am not looking to get lectured. Would the judge discuss or announce my passed charges? My parents will be in the court room with me. I was the passenger in my friends car when I got my open bottle, so its not like I have bottles all in my car. And I am totally against drunk driving and think it is very irresponsible.

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
Thank you all for your concerns, however, I am not looking to get lectured. Would the judge discuss or announce my passed charges?
When is your first AA meeting?
What other programs have you check out to help you with your drinking problem?

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">