• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

21year old with a gun case at 16 please help

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Built2last1994

i was 16 when this happened (November 28,2011) I live in Chicago il 60645.
I was driving with my girlfriend next to me, I had a 9mm in the glove department. Not ****ed but it was loaded. I was stopped on my way home by a cop.
They took me out the car and searched my vehicle.
They Found the 9mm in the glove department and took me to the police station.
Later processed to juvenile detention center.
I was there for 22 days before I was let go on probation for a year and a half.
That was my first case ever and my last.
Now I'm 21 years old, I applied for a foid card and got it, bought a gun and took it to the shooting range.But a month later I got a paper saying it was revoked because I have an AG UUW in my background.
I returned my gun to the store I bought it from and gave up my foid card to the police station close to me.
My question is : what can I do in my position? can I get my foid card back seeking help from a lawyer?

FlyingRon

You will need a lawyer and even then you may be out of luck. You appear on the face of it to be barred under Illinois law from having a FOID because of your prior weapons violations.

commentator

Well, I certainly hope your maturity and judgment level have increased tremendously in the last four years!

I might suggest waiting till you're quite a bit older than this before you put out the money for an attorney to work on this. Because I really have uncomfortable thoughts about a sixteen year old who would feel the need to carry a loaded weapon in his glove compartment while driving around on a date. A court official you came before might have a similar take on that past incident. And twenty two isn't that far removed from those good old teenage years when you obviously felt that having your loaded armaments with you at all times was necessary. Try giving yourself a few more years of going unarmed and without any criminal charges through life, and they may look at it a little more forgivingly.

xylene

I'm going to be less charitable in assessing the situation.

I think your chances of getting a an FOID card, ever, are nil.

In fact I'd say you have 0% chance of ever receiving a valid FOID barring very unlikely changes in Illinois law.

That you were erroneously issued one does not increase your eligibility for one in any way.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">