• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

22 year old man dating 16 year old girl in Maine

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Zer00N1nja

What is the name of your state? Maine

My friend who is 16 has been dating a guy who is 22 for roughly 8 months. She was 15 when they started dating and I am unsure if he was 21.

Anyways, they do not have sex but they do kiss, cuddle, hug or whatever.

The girls mom is taking the b/f to court for a restraining order which will end the relationship.

What are the chances of this restraining order going into place? Is them even kissing illegal?
and can the fact that he kissed her while she was 15 be held against him?

I am on the 16 year old girls side as I personaly find it disgusting. If anything needs to be clarified let me know please.

TinkerBelleLuvr

Mom is making sure that NOTHING happens. That's what mom's do. Sorry to be blunt, but most men of 22 are really not interested in the brain of a 16 yo; I'll let you figure out the rest.

justalayman

If he is a teacher, employee, or other official in a school district, school union, educational unit, school, facility or institution in which the 16 year old was a student enrolled in the same facility, he may be found in violation of 254 Sexual abuse of minors.

If he is not any of the above, he would NOT be found in violation of the law; the age of consent to have sexual intercourse is 16 years of age in the state of Maine.
So as to the legality. If he falls within the description on the first part, although you claim they are not having sex, it surely would makes things suspect and would probably bring additional scrutiny.

If he does not fit in the first catagory, it would be legal.

As to the rock solid thing. Yes, if mom says no, then it is no and if there is a restraining order, he could be charged for violating the order.

Zer00N1nja

I understand that, they went through an arguement about sex a few months back which I was sure would tear the relationship apart. This guy is different, he's interested in that but not getting it. Her mom basicaly has her on lockdown, she hasn't seen him in almost 2 months yet she still holds on. Which is just not a good thing imo.

cbg

I'm a Northern Girl
There are NO circumstances where the law is going to require a mother to allow her minor child to date someone the mother does not wish her to date. He could walk on water and if mom says no, it's no. And yes, that is cast in stone.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">