• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

2nd Degree Commercial Burglary&Petty Theft

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

compasrose

What is the name of your state? Texas

My 15 year old was supposed to be in court in OC, California last fall. She did not show up because she moved in with me, her dad, here in Texas. Now there is a warrant for her arrest in California. The court says that she needs to return to OC, California to meet with the Probation Officer and make arrangements to appear in court.

My question:

What will happen if I don't take her back for this "meeting?" Is this "warrant" good in Texas? Will it ever go away?

ceara19

My 15 year old was supposed to be in court in OC, California last fall. She did not show up because she moved in with me, her dad, here in Texas. Now there is a warrant for her arrest in California. The court says that she needs to return to OC, California to meet with the Probation Officer and make arrangements to appear in court.

My question:

What will happen if I don't take her back for this "meeting?" Is this "warrant" good in Texas? Will it ever go away?
The warrant is "good" everywhere. The question is, will California extradite her from Texas for this warrant. It will NEVER just "go away". It is best to deal with this matter NOW before it turns into a much more serious matter.

Ohiogal

Queen Bee

My question:

It will never go away as Ceara said and she can find herself ending up in jail instead of juvie. The fact that she left the state is not a reason why she didn't show -- it is an excuse and a bad one. It also looks like she was fleeing which can result in MORE charges being added. And truthfully you could face charges for helping her avoid court. Whether or not you would be charged is another story but you are technically harboring a fugitive -- which is what your daughter became when she didn't show.

The other question is -- WHAT do you think you are teaching your daughter by NOT forcing her to own up to the consequences of her actions?

compasrose

It will never go away as Ceara said and she can find herself ending up in jail instead of juvie. The fact that she left the state is not a reason why she didn't show -- it is an excuse and a bad one. It also looks like she was fleeing which can result in MORE charges being added. And truthfully you could face charges for helping her avoid court. Whether or not you would be charged is another story but you are technically harboring a fugitive -- which is what your daughter became when she didn't show.

The other question is -- WHAT do you think you are teaching your daughter by NOT forcing her to own up to the consequences of her actions?

Well, this is what happend. She lived with her mom her whole life and this theft occurred while she lived with her mom. In December her mom decided she couldn't handle raising her anymore so she sent her here to Texas to live with me. I am not protecting her in anyway. I did not even know about the court case until the evening before. Mom and daughter tried to hide it from me. Maybe they thought I would never find out. Anyway, the court contacted me, and I spoke with them over the phone, they mailed me a letter saying that I needed to take her back to court, and here I am trying to find out what to expect. She was failing all classes in school and her mother was allowing her to run free. Now with me she is in a controlled environment and is getting all A's and B's. So again, I'm not trying to help her run from the law. Just wanted to know what would happen if I didn't take her back to California. I guess I did not realize how bad the charges were.

ceara19

Well, this is what happend. She lived with her mom her whole life and this theft occurred while she lived with her mom. In December her mom decided she couldn't handle raising her anymore so she sent her here to Texas to live with me. I am not protecting her in anyway. I did not even know about the court case until the evening before. Mom and daughter tried to hide it from me. Maybe they thought I would never find out. Anyway, the court contacted me, and I spoke with them over the phone, they mailed me a letter saying that I needed to take her back to court, and here I am trying to find out what to expect. She was failing all classes in school and her mother was allowing her to run free. Now with me she is in a controlled environment and is getting all A's and B's. So again, I'm not trying to help her run from the law. Just wanted to know what would happen if I didn't take her back to California. I guess I did not realize how bad the charges were.
You would be wise to contact an attorney that specializes in Juvenile Law in California. Hopefully, for your daughter's sake, the court will take her change in behaviour since living with you into consideration when deciding on punishment.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">