• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

3 misdemeanors 1 Felony

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

DOA

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Kansas

Here we go,

I'm 19. The other night I got black-out drunk (Don't remember anything at all during the incidents) and went down to the bars. I got an MIC and unlawful use of a DL there. I was by myself and the cops let me go (I assume). I walked to a nearby fraternity house and broke in and passed out. The damage was estimated at over $1000, and I got Felony Criminal Damage to Property and a trespassing charge. It is my first offense. What am I looking at?

Should the officers have called a taxi for me when I got caught earlier in the night?
Will I be needing a lawyer for this?

Thanks!

Last edited:

Farfalla

Yes you need an attorney.

As for the cops not calling you a cab... don't put this on them.

Hopefully you have learned a very important lesson. You have no business drinking because you black out and loose control.

Joeyv415

Sorry I'm not an expert... But sounds like you shouldn't be drinking as much as you did. If this is a pattern you need to stop, because you will have future arrests. Just some advice. I'm a hypocrite, I drink under age as well... But I don't get destroyed man!

I definitely recommend an attorney, without one, your gonna get Hammered!
Then you randomly break into a frat house! You can't be drinking that much lol. You could have gotten hurt. But with everything you've done in that drunken stupor, your sentence probably wont be slack. You'll probably have to pay $1000 restitution. You'll probably get a few months in jail. Maybe, if your lucky, you can get out and into a rehabilitation center halfway into your jail time, if you behave in there.

Your lawyer will tell you everything you'll want to know, thats basically what you pay him for. I'm sorry to hear this happened to you, and your life is going to make such a drastic change. Just promise yourself that you wont be so stupid ever again man, its all an experience worth living and telling your children about.

Tallrat

You are lucky. Many years ago a buddy of mine did that. Only the house he broke into was a young lady who's father's best friend was a judge. She came down stairs and found him naked on a couch. He got 4 yrs in Indiana State Prison. He was 22 then. He never drank again though! Get that attorney.

racer72

You posted your questions in the wrong forum. You are not a juvenile, you are facing adult charges and adult sentencing.

Ohiogal

Queen Bee
Farfalla, you have no business posting on a forum, because you can't spell "Lose".
And you have no business posting on a forum because you do not realize that you are an adult and an alcoholic/addict and need to grow up.

DOA

Actually, you ARE right. That was pretty stupid of me for posting this in the Juvenile forum. I'll apologize for it.

But you have no business calling me an alcoholic. You've got a serious problem with assumptive judgment.

Thank you all for your posts. You've been very helpful.

Ohiogal

Queen Bee
Actually, you ARE right. That was pretty stupid of me for posting this in the Juvenile forum. I'll apologize for it.

But you have no business calling me an alcoholic. You've got a serious problem with assumptive judgment.

Thank you all for your posts. You've been very helpful.
Nope I don't. You have a serious problem with alcohol if at the AGE OF 19 you are drinking until you blackout but can still function. That is a major sign of a serious problem with alcohol otherwise known as alcoholism and those with alcoholism are alcoholics.

So therefore it is NOT assumptive judgment. It is DEDUCTIVE reasoning. Oh but then again, reasoning is probably where you are getting lost. My apologies.

DOA

Easy, ma'am. No need to attack me personally like your last comment. It seems immature of you.

Fact: Alcoholism isn't defined by age. Me being 19 has nothing to do with the disease.
Fact: Alcoholism is defined by the development of withdrawal symptoms after stopped usage. I have developed none.
Fact: Alcoholism is a serious disease affecting many people chronically. It seems vary ignorant to throw the term around so loosely.

Alcoholism is always a problem with drinking.
A problem with drinking is not always alcoholism.

While I do enjoy drinking, addiction refers to physiological and physical withdrawal. Without this distinction, I am also a cookie addict, putt putt addict, and movie addict; all of these things I enjoy.

Thank you for your time.

Last edited:

Ohiogal

Queen Bee
Easy, ma'am. No need to attack me personally like your last comment. It seems immature of you.
Fact: Alcoholism isn't defined by age. Me being 19 has nothing to do with the disease.
No but the fact that at such a young age you can drink until you black out and STILL function to a certain degree is scary and means that you have been heavy drinking for a while.
Fact: Alcoholism is defined by the development of withdrawal symptoms after stopped usage. I have developed none.
Actually no. Withdrawal symptoms is NOT THE definition of alcoholism.

Fact: Alcoholism is a serious disease affecting many people chronically. It seems vary ignorant to throw the term around so loosely.
I am not throwing it around loosely.
Alcoholism is always a problem with drinking.
A problem with drinking is not always alcoholism.
Actually alcoholism is a problem with alcohol. Not drinking. And a problem with drinking not being alcoholism all the time is correct.

While I do enjoy drinking, addiction refers to physiological and physical withdrawal. Without this distinction, I am also a cookie addict, putt putt addict, and movie addict; all of these things I enjoy.
You can drink once a year and still be an alcoholic. It matters not how often or how much but how it affects you.
As for being a putt putt addict -- maybe you are. Enjoying something is NOT an addiction. And you really enjoy blacking out and facing charges?:confused:

DOA

Eh, this is getting weird. We're both kind of right. I was just looking for a little advice. Thank you for the stimulating debate. Best of luck to you in everything. I accept defeat!

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">