• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Absolutley Ridiculous Alcohol Law In New Jersey

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

eazy123

My question involves juvenile law in the State of: New Jersey

I am 16 years old turning 17 in a couple of months. There was a house party (at which I did not know alcohol was there) going on and when I got there, I went straight to the back yard and started playing basketball with a couple of my friends. All of a sudden, I see people running saying there are cops. My friends and I do not run because we thought we didn't do anything wrong. Neither of us had anything illegal on us (I was searched at least 3 times) and we didn't touch the alcohol. The police in East Brunswick are notorious for being thugs and crooked. I myself want to become an officer and I have a lot of respect for cops, just not East Brunswick cops. Anyway, East Brunswick passed a new law which says for underage drinking you get: "fine of $250 and a court cost surcharge of $33. Ineligible to apply for a driver's license until six months after you turn 17". Read this story:

http://ebs.gmnews.com/news/2008/0131/front_page/009.html

"under East Brunswick's law, an underage person in a private residence does not have to be tested positive for alcohol in their system, or even found to possess alcohol. He said court officials explained to him that an underage person could be found guilty if alcohol is found in the residence and "it is reasonable to construct" that a minor could possess it."

I dropped out of High School to go to work and help my single mother out. I did get my GED and I was accepted into college. Like I said, I'm turning 17 in August and school starts in September. I cannot afford to have my drivers license suspended for 6 months. I personally think that new law is BULLSH*T and unjust. What are my legal options?

What can I do to avoid my drivers license being suspended? Do you think judge will care that I have to attend college?

Hot Topic

The law is the law and will not be overturned because young people find it unfair. When you go to a house where people like yourself are, more likely than not, alcohol will be present. That's the big deal. The adults leave. The young people get beer or wine and "party down." Unless I knew for sure adults would be there to supervise, I'd count on catching someone there with a "brewsky" or two. You went to a party and went straight to the backyard to play basketball? Credibility problem with that one. Or as Judge Judy would say, "If something doesn't make sense, it's probably not true."

All you can do is tell your side to the judge. Don't mention that you think the police are thugs and crooked because if you achieve your goal of becoming one, you might be assigned there! You can also get yourself in trouble for slander.

Good luck.

stealth2

Under the Radar Member
Dude - be real. You were at a house party with a bunch of other teens and either there were no adults around or the adults present were allowing underage drinking. By hanging there (even if only innocently playing bball), you could be legally presumed to be in possession.

I also live in NJ, and I can tell you this. If it's a party and there are going to be kids (besides my own) there? We don't serve alcohol at all - not even to the adults. We save that for after the kids go home. 'Cause, frankly, *I* don't need the liability.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">