• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Abused child wants to leave home

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

jbba

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Arizona

My sister has a history of abuse with her three children. FIrst physical, which has been documented, and now mental and verbal. For many years I stood by and watched this downward spiral, her mental state is questionable right now, and she is under the direction of a physician at the moment. Her oldest daughter is no longer in the home, and has severed all contact with her mother because of the history of long term abuse she has suffered. Her other daughter is still at home and is supporting the family, as the mother can no longer work due to her health issues, both mental and physical. The youngest daughter is 14 and was recently involved in a famiy dispute where the middle daughter beat her up and the mother stood by and watched. She was verbally abusive to her and made some very horrible remarks to her at the time.
The 14 year old ended up at my home, dropped off by her mother, my sister. She was banged up and had a bloody lip. I did call the police to make this a matter of record, but was told the mother was within my legal rights to do this. I was told to contact CPS and see if the mother could be found mental unstable. I would like to remove the 14 year old from the home, and have her live with me where I can provide her with the help and stability she so badly needs. Too many years have I seen her girls go through hell, and I want to take a stand and do what i can now.
My question is, how do I go about the process, and will the 14 year have to live in foster care in the meantime? She is too young to be emancipated, and i would appreciate any advice someone has on the topic. Her mother has said she can stay with me for the next 2 weeks, and I would like to see what needs to be done to get guardianship of her. I dont want her to have to go back to that enviroment if this can be helped.
Please let me know whatever comments you have that may point me in the right direction. Thanks so much.

Isis1

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Arizona

My sister has a history of abuse with her three children. FIrst physical, which has been documented, and now mental and verbal. For many years I stood by and watched this downward spiral, her mental state is questionable right now, and she is under the direction of a physician at the moment. Her oldest daughter is no longer in the home, and has severed all contact with her mother because of the history of long term abuse she has suffered. Her other daughter is still at home and is supporting the family, as the mother can no longer work due to her health issues, both mental and physical. The youngest daughter is 14 and was recently involved in a famiy dispute where the middle daughter beat her up and the mother stood by and watched. She was verbally abusive to her and made some very horrible remarks to her at the time.
The 14 year old ended up at my home, dropped off by her mother, my sister. She was banged up and had a bloody lip. I did call the police to make this a matter of record, but was told the mother was within my legal rights to do this. I was told to contact CPS and see if the mother could be found mental unstable. I would like to remove the 14 year old from the home, and have her live with me where I can provide her with the help and stability she so badly needs. Too many years have I seen her girls go through hell, and I want to take a stand and do what i can now.
My question is, how do I go about the process, and will the 14 year have to live in foster care in the meantime? She is too young to be emancipated, and i would appreciate any advice someone has on the topic. Her mother has said she can stay with me for the next 2 weeks, and I would like to see what needs to be done to get guardianship of her. I dont want her to have to go back to that enviroment if this can be helped.
Please let me know whatever comments you have that may point me in the right direction. Thanks so much.
did you call CPS?

jbba

I have not called as of yet. What I am worried about is that I call CPS, they come and place her in a foster home, or send her home to her mom. I really don't want either things to happen to her as she is in a very delicate mindset as of right now. I am worried that if she does go home, her mom will take it out on her. Can CPS place her in a foster home, when there is a safe haven for her here right now?

Isis1

I have not called as of yet. What I am worried about is that I call CPS, they come and place her in a foster home, or send her home to her mom. I really don't want either things to happen to her as she is in a very delicate mindset as of right now. I am worried that if she does go home, her mom will take it out on her. Can CPS place her in a foster home, when there is a safe haven for her here right now?
this is going to sound harsh...but here it is.

if the child is in danger. CALL CPS. do NOT leave the child in danger just because it does not produce the results you want. your main concern should be the child. not so YOU can have the child.

jbba

I will call CPS, I am just concerned about the process involved in declaring her mother not fit to be a parent to her anymore. I know that as a parent she has rights, I would like to see her daughter in the best place for her that is possible right now. I am wondering how long the process normally takes, and what could possible happen to the child in the meantime. WHat would be the chances of myself becoming a guardian for her? One way or another, I refuse to send her somewhere I know she will not be safe, therefore she will not be going home if I can help it. What are the chances that she can have the child returned to her custody whlie this is all going on? I know that I will lose a ongoing relationship with my sister, but I don't want to lose touch with her daughter. I want to help her any way that I can.

Proserpina

I will call CPS, I am just concerned about the process involved in declaring her mother not fit to be a parent to her anymore. I know that as a parent she has rights, I would like to see her daughter in the best place for her that is possible right now. I am wondering how long the process normally takes, and what could possible happen to the child in the meantime. WHat would be the chances of myself becoming a guardian for her? One way or another, I refuse to send her somewhere I know she will not be safe, therefore she will not be going home if I can help it. What are the chances that she can have the child returned to her custody whlie this is all going on? I know that I will lose a ongoing relationship with my sister, but I don't want to lose touch with her daughter. I want to help her any way that I can.
CPS will decide where she is better off.

Where is Dad, btw?

stealth2

Under the Radar Member
So you've sat around for years and watched these three children be abused and done *nothing*? :eek: You're no more fit than Mom is. What appalling behavior.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">