• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Accountable for Slander?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Jdawn

What is the name of your state? Texas
Can a 14 yr. old be responsible for slander in any way?
A 14 yr. old has created lies and rumors to convince a entire middle school - 7th & 8th grade - that my daughter is a lesbian. The girl used complete frabrications to do this and has cost my daughter her reputation and friends. They are both in 8th grade and can get no help from the school.

THE PRACTICE-21

Jaimie Lanier said:
What is the name of your state? Texas
Can a 14 yr. old be responsible for slander in any way?
A 14 yr. old has created lies and rumors to convince a entire middle school - 7th & 8th grade - that my daughter is a lesbian. The girl used complete frabrications to do this and has cost my daughter her reputation and friends. They are both in 8th grade and can get no help from the school.

My response:

Hey, there could be worse things in life!

It's not so bad. In fact, it's not bad at all.

Has your daughter had any "sleepovers" with girls? Doing so might be a tip-off.

IAAL

Jdawn

Can't believe these comments!!!

This may not seem like a big deal to people but we live in a small town and the stigma of being labeled a "lesbian" will follow her.

If my daughter were a lesbian, I would actually be ok with it, wouldn't like it, but would deal. I've dealt with worse. I am POSITIVE that she is not, in fact she has always been on the boy crazy side. She has even asked boys to go with her before this came about. This same daughter is already dealing with some health issues and the last thing she needs is something else to worry about. My daughter has Obsessive Compulsive Disorder - she is actually afraid to spend the night anywhere but home. Her friends come over, but I am a stay at home and am always here. Her door is usually open, but if it is shut, I can open it at anytime... which I do, and what I normally find is them playing video games... her favorite past time is running outside to see the neighborhood boys... one of which she has had a crush on since he moved in last year.

I wasn't making a comment to find out IF she were a lesbian - I truly wanted to know if I could do anything public to help my daughter recover her reputation. She already has trouble getting boyfriends and with this she might as well forget it. The girl who did this tells blatant lies - more like stories - so bad in fact when this started I dismissed it because I didn't think anyone would believe it... but, after the other girl makes jokes of it, writes in bathroom walls, lies about seeing her out with other girls - which I know doesn't happen - because my daughter doesn't go anywhere without either me or my husband!

I was truly seeking help.... this was my first time to come to this site... and instead I am defending my daughter against the replies! My daughter struggles thru life and it breaks my heart to see her have such a tough time. People don't appreciate having healthy children, unless they have one that isn't. Thanks anyway...

Jdawn

So Easy To Believe

I just wanted to say one more thing: it is truly dissapointing that when someone gets mad at you they can say anything they want about you and people believe it. That's why they call it a "rumor". My family believes that a good honest reputation is the best thing you have. If what is said is true, ok... no problem. It's the lies. Anyone can say anything about anybody... when can you say stop?

BelizeBreeze

Jaimie Lanier said:
I just wanted to say one more thing: it is truly dissapointing that when someone gets mad at you they can say anything they want about you and people believe it. That's why they call it a "rumor". My family believes that a good honest reputation is the best thing you have. If what is said is true, ok... no problem. It's the lies. Anyone can say anything about anybody... when can you say stop?
I totally agree. So, tell young daughter that since you and she disapprove of living in a country with a Constitution and Civil Rights, you will be moving to Iran in the very near future where women are given VERY FEW rights.:rolleyes:

Just Blue

Jaimie Lanier said:
Teen aged girls can be evil...but what do you expect can be legally done?
Have you talked to the girls mother or father? If my daughter was spreading a rumor like that she wouldn't sit for a week and would have to publicly apologize...So try calling the parents and see if that helps. Does your school have a policy on bullying...If so this may fall under that policy. Talk to the School Board.

tmhirz

it will get better

I had a similar problem with my 7 year old son. I did consult a laywer to draw up papers, putting the school on notice. They have the responsiblity to protect all of their students. Things did get better at school, but my son and I were labled in the community. I do not regreat what I did, but asking my son, he has a differernt attutide. The bullying never did go away,and eventylly, we did move out of the school district. Good luck.

Ohiogal

Queen Bee
tmhirz said:
I had a similar problem with my 7 year old son. I did consult a laywer to draw up papers, putting the school on notice. They have the responsiblity to protect all of their students. Things did get better at school, but my son and I were labled in the community. I do not regreat what I did, but asking my son, he has a differernt attutide. The bullying never did go away,and eventylly, we did move out of the school district. Good luck.
Dont pull up threads that are a month or more old. THE OP is gone and not reading them anymore.

M

Michaelthiery

she can get a bf in high school highschool is completly better if i was you i would be happy she diddent have a bf im 17 male and im saying its a good thing she doest have a bf in middle school

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">