• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Adult Child and Internet Use

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Ina Quandry

What is the name of your state? Iowa

I posted a question on February 5th concerning my adult daughter who was accusing me of invading her privacy when I read her emails. I want to thank all of you who responded. It gave me the opportunity to explain my actions as a concerned parent in the situation, not someone who was trying to show my autority status.

Although she now agrees that I was not at fault and it was not illegal for me to read her emails, the boyfriend in question has convinced her that reading his emails to her was. She has since told me that if I can find proof that it was not, she would apologize. Not that I necessarily need that reasurrance, but if you would, please tell me...

Was it illegal for me to read my adult daughter's emails from the man whom I had high concerns about? Since I did not access his computer, or account, then I don't see how it could, but maybe someone knows differently? I've looked through the Cornell Law Library and found nothing. Thanks in advance for your time.

If you need some more info on the issue, please refer to my question posted on Feb. 5th.What is the name of your state?

Some Random Guy

Provided you read his e-mails after they had been delivered to your daughter, then you have as much right to read them as you have to read her outbound mails. Provided she is in agreement that you have that right, the BF is out of luck.

While I did not read the original thread, I think you have a right to be concerned about this controlling and manipulating BF.

Just Blue

Provided you read his e-mails after they had been delivered to your daughter, then you have as much right to read them as you have to read her outbound mails. Provided she is in agreement that you have that right, the BF is out of luck.

While I did not read the original thread, I think you have a right to be concerned about this controlling and manipulating BF.

And to add to this...The BF is showing classic abuser behavior, in trying to come between you and your daughter. He wants strife so that he can alienate you daughter from her family...A nice guy wouldn't do try and create problems with his gf's mother...

BL

Since it is YOUR PC , you control who uses it .

Have a little more talk with your Daughter . Explain some facts of life .

Ask her if She's willing to let this individual control Mother/Daughter relationship .

Explain that you will NOT allow it to go on over Your PC , and although you wouldn't want to you may have to take away the PC use privilege you extended her .

If She insist on giving you a hard time , then take that privilege away , and

Create a password ( keep it in a out of the way safe place - so not to lose it ) , for access to the PC use period .

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">