• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Adult detaining a juvenile while police arrive

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

kennaa

What is the name of your state? California

Hello,

Hopefully I am in the right post. I have a question. Recently there have been two juveniles breaking Corona bottles on the side of my corner lot home. Today, we witnessed them and they ran away. About 10 minuets later they came out of the court where they ran to. I yelled to them twice to confront them, they left. I walked over to the court and low and behold, they vanished out of no where.

What are my rights as an adult to detain these punks until the police arrive? I know I cannot tackle, punch or lay a hand on them. Is there any law that allows me to hold these juveniles in my custody, like I said, until the police arrive.

Any help or ideas would be appreciated. We need to get these little brats in trouble. I estimate they are 13-15 years old.

Thank you,

Kennaa

Last edited:

rmet4nzkx

kennaa said:
What is the name of your state? California

Hello,

Hopefully I am in the right post. I have a question. Recently there have been two juveniles breaking Corona bottles on the side of my corner lot home. Today, we witnessed them and they ran away. About 10 minuets later they came out of the court where they ran to. I yelled to them twice to confront them, they left. I walked over to the court and low and behold, they vanished out of no where.

What are my rights as an adult to detain these punks until the police arrive? I know I cannot tackle, punch or lay a hand on them. Is there any law that allows me to hold these juveniles in my custody, like I said, until the police arrive.

Any help or ideas would be appreciated. We need to get these little brats in trouble. I estimate they are 13-15 years old.

Thank you,

Kenna
Have you thought to call the police and ask them what to do or have you made any police reports?

kennaa

Yes, I did contact the police, but unfortunatley they have not contacted me in a timely manner. I am still waiting their reply.

Thanks,

Kennaa

stealth2

Under the Radar Member
kennaa said:
Yes, I did contact the police, but unfortunatley they have not contacted me in a timely manner. I am still waiting their reply.

Thanks,

Kennaa
Did you know that a lot of them hang out at the police station, and that you're allowed to go there and ask questions? :rolleyes:

kennaa

Yeah I know, they do hang out at the police station until 5pm... it closes,(you have to call the sheriffs office after that) let alone the local diner, coffee shop and don't let me forget the doughnut shop. We live in a very small town....I bet they're out on a paintball field. Anyway, there was no reply from anyone... I guess I will call again today. Obviously the police didn't take the matter seriously enough.

Thanks,

Kennaa

Last edited:

stealth2

Under the Radar Member
Jaysus - get in your car and drive down there if it's that big a concern to you instead of whining how no one's called you back.

kennaa

Stealth2,

Been there done that. Spoke with the neighbors in the court.The neighbors saw the boys hop the fence,,, I guess I'll let it go, but if I see tthem again lol I'm gonna chase them until they run out of breath, LMAO... Wish me luck!:)

Kennaa

Last edited:

CdwJava

kennaa said:
CA law allows a person to make a private person's arrest and turn the arrested parties over to the police. What the law is unclear on is whether private persons can use ANY force (reasonable or otherwise) to affect the arrest.

Try a video camera. I'd suspect the first time they think they are on tape or digital video will be the last time they show up to do what they do.

A lot of people also mount video cameras outside their home. These systems today are inexpensive, small, and can record straight to a home computer.

- Carl

kennaa

Thank you Carl,

I have checked into the cameras, but to get a great pic, you need infared. It's worth it.
And not to be sarcastic, but Stealth2 must live in on a island by him/herself where there is no crime.

I'm just waiting for those boys to walk down the side of my street.... It's gonna be a playday.

Have a great day!!!

Kennaa

CdwJava

kennaa said:
I'm just waiting for those boys to walk down the side of my street.... It's gonna be a playday.
The "playday" fun better remain verbal or you could find yourself going to jail - especially if they are not committing any criminal offense at the time of the confrontation.

Stealth2 doesn't live in la-la land. And, you CAN call the police during the day and make a report ... not that it will do much good after the fact. This is littering which even if a misdemeanor per the local muni code is still going to likely be punishable as an infraction. And unless your local cops truly have nothing to do, they are not going to take the time to investigate the bottle breaking caper.

- Carl

Last edited:

Swav107

If they are minors, they will be charged with a minor in possession charge even if the bottles are empty, and kids who do that kind of stuff will also probably have drinken the bottles before breaking them.

CdwJava

Swav107 said:
If they are minors, they will be charged with a minor in possession charge even if the bottles are empty, and kids who do that kind of stuff will also probably have drinken the bottles before breaking them.
Possession in CA requires the alcohol. An empty bottle is not possession.

And, most counties in CA no longer charge "possession" for consumption. That has pretty much faded out of the scene in most the counties in the state.

Possession or being under the influence is not going to be provable after the fact anyway.

If they have consumed alcohol and are a danger to themselves or others then they can be arrested for public intoxication.

Without a crime at the time of contact or call, the police would still be looking at an old littering offense.

- Carl

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">