• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Adult giving cigarettes to a minor

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

GinAA

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? IN

My son is 16 and I have found some text between him and another kid from his school in which the other child tells my son that his mother will give him "smokes" if he goes over in the morning before school and just asks her.

Besides holding my son's hand and walking him to and from school, is there anything I can legally do to stop this other parent from giving my son cigarettes?

Thanks.

mistoffolees

If the legal system can't prevent the other parent from giving cigarettes to your child, what do you think you can do?

It's illegal. That should be enough.

(Hint: don't put too much faith into what teenage boys say to each other).

Antigone*

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? IN

My son is 16 and I have found some text between him and another kid from his school in which the other child tells my son that his mother will give him "smokes" if he goes over in the morning before school and just asks her.

Besides holding my son's hand and walking him to and from school, is there anything I can legally do to stop this other parent from giving my son cigarettes?

Thanks.
What did your son say when you spoke to him about it? I'd also speak to the mom of the other boy as well.

GinAA

Thank you for the quick replies.

My son has not come home from school yet. That was a what the other part if the text was about. That my son wanted to go to his friend's house after school to have a smoke before coming home. I am going to ask him about it and talk to the other kids mother. I wanted to confirm that it was illegal for an adult to give cigarettes to a minor.

I have that answer now.

Thanks.

GinAA

Tell him that he cannot be friends with that kid any more.
If it were only that easy. The only way I can ensure that he stays away from that particular kid is to take him and pick him up from school every day. I would loose my job if I did that. I think the more productive route would be to talk to this kids mother and first find out if what is being said is true. Then inform her that it's illegal and hope that she would rather not have me showing up at her home ever evening to get my son with the police.

If it were only that easy. The only way I can ensure that he stays away from that particular kid is to take him and pick him up from school every day. I would loose my job if I did that. I think the more productive route would be to talk to this kids mother and first find out if what is being said is true. Then inform her that it's illegal and hope that she would rather not have me showing up at her home ever evening to get my son with the police.
It would be easy for me .. my kid listens to what I tell him to do ... yours should too. If it was a kid using drugs, then what ..

I would not talk to the other kid's mother unless you tell her to keep her kid away from yours. I'm sure the mom knows its wrong to give her kid smokes ... telling her not to will accomplish nothing.

And I would not get the police involved.

Its fun being a parent..

GinAA

It would be easy for me .. my kid listens to what I tell him to do ... yours should too. If it was a kid using drugs, then what ..

I would not talk to the other kid's mother unless you tell her to keep her kid away from yours. I'm sure the mom knows its wrong to give her kid smokes ... telling her not to will accomplish nothing.

And I would not get the police involved.

Its fun being a parent..
While I'm happy for you that your child does everything you tell him to, I'm not that lucky. And I remember sneaking out of the house and other things when I was his age. He is a good kid, just going through the things that kids go through. And I would get the police involved if the other parent allows my son in their home where the adults are engaging in illegal activity. Surely would nip it in the bud. If nothing else, it would become a nuisance to them and they would no longer welcome my son into their home.

I did come here for advice, legal advice. I did receive what I came here for.

I love the challenges of being a parent. I have 4 children of my own and am a step-parent to my husband's two children. Never a dull moment. Each one is uniquely different.

Thanks again for the advice.

stealth2

Under the Radar Member
Out of curiosity - how would you prove that she's given him cigarettes? Just because he has them - even if they are the same type that she smokes - doesn't prove squat. I'd spend more time educating your kid.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">