• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

An adult having a non-sexual romantic relationship with a minor over the internet

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Status
Not open for further replies.

disappointedguy

This is a very complex situation.

I'm a senior staff member on a forum and I've been told that two volunteer members of our staff, a young adult from Switzerland, is having a relationship with a minor from Canada, over the internet. They have told me, and a few other members of our staff, who are also located internationally. I haven't given them an answer yet on what action I will take before seeking counsel, nor have I approved this relationship.

What should I do in this situation? I'm assuming I'll have to take action to remove them from our staff and from the website. Do I have the duty to report this and call the authorities in Canada? What exactly should I be doing to both protect myself, our staff, and this minor from any legal action?

I'm very disappointed and rather shocked that this happened, but we want to make sure that we're taking proper action.

Last edited:

Preciousness

I think you have a moral "duty" to report this to the authorities. If it were your child on the other end of this "relationship", wouldn't you want someone that knows about it, to report it & protect the child? I wouldn't think twice.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">