• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Adult removed minor without parental consent... legal?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

H2OTroubles

Ohio

My 14 year old daughter went to a roller skating rink last night with some friends. While there, she was approached by a 21 year old and a 15 year old, both males, both acquaintances. They asked her to go to the movies, she said yes, and they left the rink property.

It was noticed she was missing, and we (the parents) were called right as they walked back in the door. We have no idea how long they were gone.

We immediately went and got her, and went directly to the police station to report the incident. Our daughter says they only went to the movies, and that nothing of a sexual nature took place.

We were told by the officer that since she went along willingly, and she's not admitting to any sexual activity, that no crime had been committed. No report was filed, because no crime had been committed. The officer got the 21 year olds phone number, called him, and told him to cease all contact with the minor.

Can someone verify that what the officer said is true?? I am having a really hard time believing that any adult, without our consent, can take my daughter anywhere they want as long as she goes along willingly. I can't believe that a minor is granted that type of authority to make those decisions.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated. My blood is boiling right now, so I hope this all makes sense.

John

BL

Well believe it or not , that's what the law told my girlfriend when Her then minor child was going to a teen center.

The attendant took him somewhere else in his car without permission .

The Occultist

The law can only have so much to do with raising your daughter. It is up to you to make sure she knows how to make good decisions.

CdwJava

H2OTroubles said:
Can someone verify that what the officer said is true?? I am having a really hard time believing that any adult, without our consent, can take my daughter anywhere they want as long as she goes along willingly. I can't believe that a minor is granted that type of authority to make those decisions.
Believe it or not, no crime was committed. Unless it can be proven that she was lured away with the intent to commit some form of criminal act, this is an issue between daughter and parent. She went willingly to the movies ... not to a bar, not to a strip club, not to an apartment for drugs and debauchery. Thus, no crime.

If she were my daughter, she would find that her "pass" to freedom has been revoked for breaking my trust, and she would have to be accompanied by a parent or trusted adult when she leaves until such time as she could prove her trustworthiness once more. For a teenage girl that would be devastating, and it should make an impact!

- Carl

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">