• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Advice for Teenager/older female won't go away!

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Prodigals

What is the name of your state? Kansas

Not exactly sure where to begin - just need advice in handling this. It seems that my only options are legal at this point.

We have a 16 year old son. 17 in 2 weeks. There is a 19 year old female who "likes" him. I use that word loosely.

He's been a pretty straight forward kid until contact with this girl. We can pretty much take the phone and car away. He "says" he realizes its wrong, and just wants to stay friends. (So he says ...)

They both work at the same store. He just had interviews at another store, waiting for a reply.

One he knows and SHE knows that we do not want her to contact him. We do not want them to have a relationship in any way. I have told her this. she continues to call (can check phone history online) We have a 20 year old daughter and she has told her also how we feel about this whole "relationship"

She does have some emotional/attachment issues. Not sure of her past.

But since this mess started, he has snuck out of the house, gotten at speeding ticket during this trip out (unauthorized) -- and I shudder to think about things I don't know.

Is there any legal recourse we can take should this continue and get out of hand?

We do not want our son around this girl -- period. Aside from grounding him and monitoring all movement -- is there legal action that we can use (or say we can use?)

I've heard 16 years old is the age of consent in Kansas? joy.

Any help -- and advice welcome. Thanks.What is the name of your state?

sjmjuly

Maybe a retraining order? Though I am not sure you could obtain one unless she has threatened him or your family. These situations are tough, I know. I had a friend who had a 15 yr old son that got involved with a 19 yr old girl. Not good. The fortunate thing was he grew out of it, but I thought his mother was going to strangle him for awhile!
If she continues to be a problem, you might want to contact the local policie dept and ask them for any possib;e help.

xylene

We have a 16 year old son. 17 in 2 weeks. There is a 19 year old female who "likes" him. I use that word loosely.
Drop the euphemisms please. Are they having a sexual relationship?

He's been a pretty straight forward kid until contact with this girl.
Not relevant to your legal options.

We can pretty much take the phone and car away.
Can or HAVE?

He "says" he realizes its wrong, and just wants to stay friends. (So he says ...)
Your son disrespecting your authority is not a crime. If anyone might be committing a crime it would be the girl.

They both work at the same store. He just had interviews at another store, waiting for a reply.
Do they or do they not work together at this time?

One he knows and SHE knows that we do not want her to contact him. We do not want them to have a relationship in any way. I have told her this.
Depending on the circumstance their may be nothing you can do.

she continues to call (can check phone history online)
Get call blocking. Also consider message service (whatever it may be called in your area) where all callers are announced. Have only one CORDED phone in common area.

We have a 20 year old daughter and she has told her also how we feel about this whole "relationship"
Do not have your daughter muddy the waters. Your daughter has no charge over your son.

She does have some emotional/attachment issues. Not sure of her past.
Probably not relevant.

But since this mess started, he has snuck out of the house, gotten at speeding ticket during this trip out (unauthorized) -- and I shudder to think about things I don't know.
This sounds like normal late adolescent behavior. I would expect more serious criminal conduct would need to be in play for this to raise the kind of red flag scandal it is for your family in the criminal justice system.

Is there any legal recourse we can take should this continue and get out of hand?
If this 19 is harassing you or your son, petition for a restraining order. You really should talk to a lawyer if you pursue that route.

The police MIGHT help... but don't expect to get very far, as there is no age of consent issue, the age difference is quite close, and the girl is the older party

We do not want our son around this girl -- period. Aside from grounding him and monitoring all movement -- is there legal action that we can use (or say we can use?)
I've heard 16 years old is the age of consent in Kansas? joy.
Correct.

Any help -- and advice welcome.
Your son is almost a man legally speaking and in years not so far in the past he would be well set on a path towards marriage. (not endorsing his conduct, just providing some context.)

Does he have college plans?

Indiana Filer

Your son disrespecting your authority is not a crime. If anyone might be committing a crime it would be the girl. son, petition for a restraining order. You really should talk to a lawyer if you pursue that route.
Actually, if the kid doesn't follow the "lawful and reasonable demands" of the parent, it could be the status offense of Incorrigibility. He could be placed on probation for it. Parent can contact the local police or probation department to ask about it.

(A status offense is one that is an offense by a minor that would not be a crime if committed by an adult.)

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">