• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Age of consent in NY?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Jblookalike

What is the name of your state? New York

I just had a quick question, and I'm new so I apologize if I posted in the wrong section. According to a website I found, the legal age of consent in NY is 17. Since I am 17, does that mean I can have a relationship with someone of any age now, or do I still need to wait until 18?

I've been interested in one of my good friends for a while, but he's 24. I know, trust me I've heard all the "He's too old" arguments. But from a purely legal standpoint, is a relationship okay now that I'm 17? I've known him and been good friends with him for a long time--it's not like I'm just looking for hookups with older guys. But I know there are laws about this sort of thing & I'm confused about them.

This is the website I found it on: http://www.ageofconsent.com/newyork.htm

It says something about 3rd degree rape for a person over 21, but says that is only if the other person is UNDER 17. So I'm still kind of confused, can anyone make sense of it?

Last edited:

BelizeBreeze

Jblookalike said:
It says something about 3rd degree rape for a person over 21, but says that is only if the other person is UNDER 17. So I'm still kind of confused, can anyone make sense of it?
yes**************.....

CdwJava

If you are looking for a reason to fall on your back and start conceiving children, the argument, "Because I can" is a dumb one.

Unless you are ready to be a parent, it is a good idea to wait. Too mamny bad things happen in sexual relationships when they weren't meant to (STDs, pregnancy, the law ... etc.)

- Carl

Jblookalike

CdwJava said:
If you are looking for a reason to fall on your back and start conceiving children, the argument, "Because I can" is a dumb one.

Unless you are ready to be a parent, it is a good idea to wait. Too mamny bad things happen in sexual relationships when they weren't meant to (STDs, pregnancy, the law ... etc.)

- Carl
Well I guess it was stupid to post--I'm not really looking for a sexual relationship with him right now. I was just curious if it was illegal to date, and IF something sexual ever happened, if that would be illegal also.

CdwJava

As I read the law, 17 is the legal age of consent in NY. Dating at even younger than thay would not be illegal ... sex of any kind would.

But, keep in mind that your parents might have something to say about you seeing a 24 year old guy, and since you are still a minor they do have some say in that and he can get in trouble if he sees you without their permission (depending on what he does to encourage you to go against your parents, etc.)

And chances are if he's interested, it's not likely because he sees you as a likely wife ... think about it ... how much does a high school student and a guy (preumably) out on his own in the working world or college have in common with a high school girl?

Think about it before you leap into anything.

- Carl

AHA

Jblookalike said:
Well I guess it was stupid to post--I'm not really looking for a sexual relationship with him right now. I was just curious if it was illegal to date, and IF something sexual ever happened, if that would be illegal also.
For an adult dating a minor it's always about sex and control, so wait until you are legally and emotionally ready to give in to an adult's sexual fantasies.

Last edited:

Max_Payne

You're NOT stupid to ask!!!

Jblookalike - god only knows how you got this far posting in this site - I had to "leap" through all sorts of crap to post a reply! I am shocked at the replies by the so-called "senior members: here - and you're certainly not stupid to seek an answer to your concerns. The "others ought to be ashamed at their ignorance in responding to your question...

When I was 24 I fell deeply in love with a woman who was 17 at the time... I met her at college in an Art Class, and had little idea when i met her she was 17. We went on a couple of dates and I met her parents during that time... they really thought i was great. When I found out she was 17 I was shocked... but by then we were both in love. But because of her age I felt "guilty" of "something", and now at 54 I still feel deep regret and anguish that I let her age get in the way of what could have been life-long love and devotion. She was my soul-mate and our relationship lasted almost a year, and would have lasted longer if I'd been old enough then to realize true love isn't a packaged commodity". Sure, in many cases an older person would or might "take advatage of a younger person, but that is not necessarily the reality. Use your mind and heart to search your own soul, and that of the other person. Read "Belinda", by Anne Rice if you want to look "outside the box"...

I never could bring myself to introduce her to my parents, and the crime is I broke her heart by treating her like a child when I found out she was 17. Looking back now from 54 I was as young as her if not younger... and I was the one who did her wrong, not because we dated, but because I didn't respect her and let the stigma of my right wing society dictate my life... the age of consent is 17 - that means it's legal to be in love with someone 17... period! Be skeptical... sure... but don't be stupid like I was!!!

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">