• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Age of Consent Question

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Crazed98

NJ

I am just trying to confirm that when someone is at the age of consent they can have sex with anyone. Example in New Jersey a 16 yr can have sex with a 50 yr old.

This is the statute I found:

2C:14-2. Sexual assault. a. An actor is guilty of aggravated sexual assault if he commits an act of sexual penetration with another person under any one of the following circumstances:

(4) The victim is at least 13 but less than 16 years old and the actor is at least four years older than the victim.

http://lis.njleg.state.nj.us/cgi-bin/om_isapi.dll?clientID=76159776&Depth=4&TD=WRAP&advquery=%222C%3a14-1.%22&headingswithhits=on&infobase=statutes.nfo&rank=&record={16BB}&softpage=Doc_Frame_Pg42&wordsaroundhits=2&zz=

NJ

I am just trying to confirm that when someone is at the age of consent they can have sex with anyone. Example in New Jersey a 16 yr can have sex with a 50 yr old

Anyone else creeped out by this?:eek:

Laws vary by state and in some cases the older may not be more than (insert number) of years older!

cbg

I'm a Northern Girl
All the age of consent does is take statutory rape off the table. It does not eliminate the number of other charges that the adult can be hit with.

Not to mention that until the 16 year old is 18, they cannot associate with anyone their parents say they cannot. No matter what the law might permit, the parents have the final say about who their kid can see.

Crazed98

All the age of consent does is take statutory rape off the table. It does not eliminate the number of other charges that the adult can be hit with.

Not to mention that until the 16 year old is 18, they cannot associate with anyone their parents say they cannot. No matter what the law might permit, the parents have the final say about who their kid can see.
What other charges would there be? I remember seeing past posts of members saying someone in that situation could be charged with delinquency of a minor and so on. I can't find any NJ statutes that say this. Would all the other charges be civil suits made only by the parents?

There is no federal AOC law. These laws are set by each individual state. You are correct, the AOC in New Jersey is 16 years of age. I am unaware of any other laws that state any otherwise regarding "parental consent," etc. You may obtain more information at www.ageofconsent.com. They know more about it than I do.

BelizeBreeze

There is so much ignorance in this post, it's hard to know where to start shovelling.

First of all, NO ONE has yet cited the specific laws only websites which paraphrase such laws.

and I'm not even going to speak about stmfitr636's special brand of ignorance. Suffice it to say that until you read a law book, don't try playing at being an attorney.

Now, from the criminal code of New Jersey, anyone under the age of 18 can be the victim of sexually based crimes. It matters not how old the offender is.

2C:13-6 Luring, enticing child by various means, attempts; crime of second degree; subsequent offense, mandatory imprisonment.

And since the above requires criminal or tortious intent, you'd better look at the following:

2C:14-2 Sexual assault.

c.An actor is guilty of sexual assault if he commits an act of sexual penetration with another person under any one of the following circumstances:
(3)The victim is at least 16 but less than 18 years old and:

(a)The actor is related to the victim by blood or affinity to the third degree; or

(b)The actor has supervisory or disciplinary power of any nature or in any capacity over the victim; or

(c)The actor is a resource family parent, a guardian, or stands in loco parentis within the household;

Sexual assault is a crime of the second degree.

The above is not meant to be ALL of the conditions must be met, but any one of them. So no, as the question was asked, a child younger than 18 cannot have sex with just anyone without legal repercussions befalling the actor.

Last edited:

Crazed98

2C:14-2 Sexual assault.

c.An actor is guilty of sexual assault if he commits an act of sexual penetration with another person under any one of the following circumstances:
(3)The victim is at least 16 but less than 18 years old and:

(a)The actor is related to the victim by blood or affinity to the third degree; or

(b)The actor has supervisory or disciplinary power of any nature or in any capacity over the victim; or

(c)The actor is a resource family parent, a guardian, or stands in loco parentis within the household;

Sexual assault is a crime of the second degree.

The above is not meant to be ALL of the conditions must be met, but any one of them. So no, as the question was asked, a child younger than 18 cannot have sex with just anyone without legal repercussions befalling the actor.
Correct me if I am wrong but, all that says is it is illegal only if the person is related (insect), in a place of power (boss, teacher, coach, etc.), or parental figure (guardian, stepparents,"uncle/aunt", etc). Other than that sex with a 16 yr old by an adult of any age would not constitute as sexual assault/ statutory rape.

BelizeBreeze

Correct me if I am wrong but, all that says is it is illegal only if the person is related (insect), in a place of power (boss, teacher, coach, etc.), or parental figure (guardian, stepparents,"uncle/aunt", etc). Other than that sex with a 16 yr old by an adult of any age would not constitute as sexual assault/ statutory rape.
go back and read the specific question asked. When you ask a question on this forum, you get the CORRECT answer (eventually) based ONLY on the question asked. NOT on some idiot's interpretation of what some non-discript website THINKS is the correct answer.

You asked I am just trying to confirm that when someone is at the age of consent they can have sex with anyone. and the answer to that is clearly, according the the New Jersey state statutes and criminal code, NO!

Crazed98

go back and read the specific question asked. When you ask a question on this forum, you get the CORRECT answer (eventually) based ONLY on the question asked. NOT on some idiot's interpretation of what some non-discript website THINKS is the correct answer.

You asked I am just trying to confirm that when someone is at the age of consent they can have sex with anyone. and the answer to that is clearly, according the the New Jersey state statutes and criminal code, NO!
Yes I understand that that is why I asked the other question:

Maybe it was confusing because there are no question marks in that statement and for that I apologize. So, is my assessment of that law correct?

Also, any other charges such as delinquency of a minor etc; would these be criminal charges or just civil charges made by the parents/guardians?

Happy Trails

Yes I understand that that is why I asked the other question:

Maybe it was confusing because there are no question marks in that statement and for that I apologize. So, is my assessment of that law correct?

Also, any other charges such as delinquency of a minor etc; would these be criminal charges or just civil charges made by the parents/guardians?
Criminal....

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">