• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Age difference in Colorado

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Kerdon

Colorado

Hi. I currently live in Aurora, Colorado and am 20 years old. A female friend of mine who is 16 and turning 17 this year has recently made it known to me that she's interested. She wants to have relations with me via text but I am unsure if this is okay given our differences in age. Can someone please tell me if this is legal?

cbg

I'm a Northern Girl
cbg's general rule of thumb for such situations: If you have to ask whether it's legal or not, then regardless of whether the answer is yes or no, it's a really, really stupid thing to do.

I'mTheFather

cbg's general rule of thumb for such situations: If you have to ask whether it's legal or not, then regardless of whether the answer is yes or no, it's a really, really stupid thing to do.
That's great, and I must have it for my siggy! Hope you don't mind.... :)

sandyclaus

The age of consent in Colorado is 17; however, there exists in the legislation close-in-age exceptions, which allow those aged 15 and 16 to engage in acts with those less than ten years older and those less than 15 to engage in acts with those less than four years older. However a 17-year-old can not legally consent to a person that is in position of trust.

So, yes, legally (due to the close-in-age exception which currently exists), you can engage in sexual relations with this child of almost 17. However, just because you CAN do something doesn't necessarily mean it's a good idea to do so.

Are you, as a 20-year-old adult, prepared to deal with an unplanned pregnancy with this child? Are you prepared to make a life-long commitment to her and any potential children you may create by way of your decision to sleep with her?

And even though the law recognizes a legal ability to engage in sexual relations with her, that doesn't mean that her parents will allow you access to do it. In fact, until she turns 18, they can legally prevent you from having anything to do with her - even going so far as to obtain a restraining order if they decide they want to.

So, think very carefully before you do something you may well regret.

divona2000

T...Are you, as a 20-year-old adult, prepared to deal with an unplanned pregnancy with this child? Are you prepared to make a life-long commitment to her and any potential children you may create by way of your decision to sleep with her?...
Possibly not a concern, since per OPs last posting, OP is also female...(or else doing one of those 'posting-as-someone-else' things)...
(and I am still trying to get this visual out of my head "She wants to have relations with me via text")

06-25-2010, 09:03 PM
Kerdon
"I live in Colorado and I need to know if I need to return the engagement ring...that won't matter to this guy. He's a **** and will either want the ring or sue me for the value."

Isis1

Possibly not a concern, since per OPs last posting, OP is also female...(or else doing one of those 'posting-as-someone-else' things)...
(and I am still trying to get this visual out of my head "She wants to have relations with me via text")
sexting. us old folks had phone sex. now these kids need to use their thumbs to conversate the old "phone sex" way. i never figured that one out...:confused:

Beth3

A female friend of mine who is 16 and turning 17 this year has recently made it known to me that she's interested. She wants to have relations with me via text

I may be old school but how do you have "relations" via text? :confused:

Perhaps the OP needs some "birds and the bees" instruction. :D

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
sexting. us old folks had phone sex. now these kids need to use their thumbs to conversate the old "phone sex" way. i never figured that one out...:confused:
And, before that? Somehow I think things would get lost in the translation when done through morse code!

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">