• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Age of moving out in KY

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

ddlv

What is the name of your state? Kentucky

My girlfriend is 17 years old and recently she was forbidden to see me or contact me in any way. The reason her parents are doing this are beyond me or my girlfriends comprehension. There is no history of abuse,etc between her and I. She is basically a prisoner in her home and she is desperately looking for a way out. First part of my question is, what laws are in place for her seeing me. Would she be legally affected if she were to say visit me without her parents permission then return home? Is it legal to restrict your child from seeing anyone for no good reason? I could understand if I was abusing her or disrespectful to her or her family (but I'm not). The second part of my question is, if worst comes to worst and she flees her home will she be legal on the move out? If it is illegal for her to move out at 17, realistically what would happen if she did. Any advice is appreciated. We're both hoping we don't have to remain contactless for the next 8 months. We love each other and it's destroying both of us emotionally. And it's only going to get worse if the situation isnt resolved. Thanks.

Neal1421

ddlv said:

My girlfriend is 17 years old and recently she was forbidden to see me or contact me in any way. The reason her parents are doing this are beyond me or my girlfriends comprehension. There is no history of abuse,etc between her and I. She is basically a prisoner in her home and she is desperately looking for a way out. First part of my question is, what laws are in place for her seeing me. Would she be legally affected if she were to say visit me without her parents permission then return home? Is it legal to restrict your child from seeing anyone for no good reason? I could understand if I was abusing her or disrespectful to her or her family (but I'm not). The second part of my question is, if worst comes to worst and she flees her home will she be legal on the move out? If it is illegal for her to move out at 17, realistically what would happen if she did. Any advice is appreciated. We're both hoping we don't have to remain contactless for the next 8 months. We love each other and it's destroying both of us emotionally. And it's only going to get worse if the situation isnt resolved. Thanks.
She can be reported as a runaway if she leaves home and she will be returned to her parents' home.

Happy Trails

Until she is a legal adult, she abides by the parents rules. You really won't look good in her parents eyes if you go against this.

BelizeBreeze

ddlv said:

EIGHT MONTHS? You can't keep it in your pants for 8 months? O.K. fine, go see her....then live with an order of protection / restraining order for the rest of your life.

Guess what bubba. You're an adult ( I would hazard a guess). She's still a child. Guess which one of you gets to do as they wish and which not.

ddlv

I'm not really looking for sympathy, and I got none, but what if her parents were involved in illegal activites, abused drugs, and were mentally-verbally (sometimes physical) abusive and she came forward. Would she have a choice to be free from their custody or would they send her to a foster home or something?

Neal1421

ddlv said:
I'm not really looking for sympathy, and I got none, but what if her parents were involved in illegal activites, abused drugs, and were mentally-verbally (sometimes physical) abusive and she came forward. Would she have a choice to be free from their custody or would they send her to a foster home or something?
Call CPS if that is the case. She may be sent to a foster home if they find that this what is going on, but she will be in a better environment.

Happy Trails

She could report the "abuse" to a school counselor. If she were to become a "ward of the state", she would go where they place her. It would not be to go live with you...

Does she plan on continuing with an education after she graduates from HS?

Just Blue

ddlv said:

How old are you ? Are you and this girl in question having sex?

gawm

ddlv said:

Did this "mental-verbal/physical abuse" start before or after they stopped letting her see you?:rolleyes:

Just Blue

Khipset said:
Your age is very important in this situation, her parents cannot legally stop you two from seeing each other without filing a restraining order against you, This is wrong! She is a minor...they CAN LEGALLY stop him from comming around their MINOR child!

which would only last until she is 18years of age. But, like they said above, they can report her as a run-away, and would be placed back into her parents custody, and her parents would undoubtedly say "look at her boyfriends place first." In some States (I am not sure about KY) have laws that could make it possible for the State to file Criminal Charges against you for taking a child in/aiding them in the run-away.

Like the others above said, her filing a report with DCF/DPS is her best bet on getting out of the house. If she had a way to support herself, or a family willing to provide for her, she could be emancipated.
Even if this was correct, and it isn't, by the time she was emancipated she would be 18 anyway!
If you want to post to threads...you NEED to post LEGALLY correct answers...If the OP were to follow your advice he may end up in deep shi*!

Just Blue

AHA said:
I know, I know :D . Is my prize in the mail?

Your prize will arrive within 7-10 business days...If there is a problem please contact the Prize Center @ 1-999-999-0000.....:p

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">