• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Alabama age of Majority/Emancipation

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

jpearson711

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Alabama.

My girlfriend is wanting to move out. In december she will turn 18. Her parents aren't going to allow her to. If she just leaves... Is there anything they can do to make her come back? And if there is, then is there any way she can get around it?

Proserpina

My girlfriend is wanting to move out. In december she will turn 18. Her parents aren't going to allow her to. If she just leaves... Is there anything they can do to make her come back? And if there is, then is there any way she can get around it?
If she moves out after her birthday nope, there's nothing they can do.

Before that? She stays wherever her parents want her to live.

TheGeekess

Keeper of the Kraken
If she moves out after her birthday nope, there's nothing they can do.

Before that? She stays wherever her parents want her to live.
Actually, Alabama's age of Majority is 19, not 18.

ection 26-1-1
Age of majority designated as 19 years.

(a) Any person in this state, at the arrival at the age of 19 years, shall be relieved of his disabilities of minority and thereafter shall have the same legal rights and abilities as persons over 21 years of age. No law of this state shall discriminate for or against any person between and including the ages of 19 and 21 years solely on the basis of age.

(b) This section shall also apply to any person who arrived at the age of 19 and 20 years before July 22, 1975, but shall not abrogate any defense or abridge any remedy available to him prior to such date.

(c) All laws or parts of laws which read "under the age of 21 years" hereafter shall read "under the age of 19 years." Wherever the words "under the age of 21 years" appear in any law limiting the legal rights and abilities of persons under such age, such words shall be construed to mean under the age of 19 years.

(d) Notwithstanding the provisions of subsection (c) of this section, nothing in this section shall be deemed to repeal any provision of Chapter 19 of Title 15 of this Code.
(Acts 1975, No. 77.)
Section 26-1-1
Section 26-13-1
When authorized; procedure generally.

The several juvenile courts of the state are authorized to relieve minors over 18 years of age from the disabilities of nonage in the following cases and none other:

(1) Whenever the father or the mother of such minor shall file a petition with the court, in writing, requesting that such minor be relieved from the disabilities of nonage, and the court shall be satisfied that it is to the best interest of such minor. The parent filing such petition shall aver whether he is the guardian of such minor.

(2) Whenever any such minor, having no father, mother or guardian, or if a parent is living but is insane or has abandoned such minor for one year, shall file a petition with the court to be relieved of the disabilities of nonage, and the court shall be satisfied that it is to the interest of such minor.

(3) Whenever any such minor, having no father or mother, or if a parent is living but is insane or has abandoned such minor for one year, but having a guardian, shall file a petition with the juvenile court to be relieved from the disabilities and the guardian shall join in such petition and the court shall be satisfied that it is to the interest of such minor.
(Code 1876, §2735; Code 1886, §2357; Code 1896, §829; Code 1907, §4505; Acts 1923, No. 562, p. 735; Code 1923, §8280; Acts 1936-37, Ex. Sess., No. 95, p. 110; Code 1940, T. 27, §13.)
Section 26-13-1

dannyt

stay stays at home untill dec

if she just ups and leaves without permission, she can be reported as a runaway, and anyone who harbors her can also faces charges, including federal charges if they take her over state lines. and no, there is no way around it. she stays where is she for now, she has no choice. and if you want to continue seeing her, you need to stop encouring her to leave home without permission, before you get hit with a restraining order.

Proserpina

if she just ups and leaves without permission, she can be reported as a runaway, and anyone who harbors her can also faces charges, including federal charges if they take her over state lines. and no, there is no way around it. she stays where is she for now, she has no choice. and if you want to continue seeing her, you need to stop encouring her to leave home without permission, before you get hit with a restraining order.
You didn't read Geekess's post, did you?

freeme2k11

situation

Im 17 ill be 18 june 7 2011. i want to move out of my grandmothers house here in alabama to georiga with a friend. i want to transfer schools there and continue to work. i dont live with my mothr or father. sence my grandmother dosent have coustdy of me can i still move without parent consent & being emancipated or considered a runaway? or does my mother or father still have to sign?:confused:

Proserpina

Im 17 ill be 18 june 7 2011. i want to move out of my grandmothers house here in alabama to georiga with a friend. i want to transfer schools there and continue to work. i dont live with my mothr or father. sence my grandmother dosent have coustdy of me can i still move without parent consent & being emancipated or considered a runaway? or does my mother or father still have to sign?:confused:

Please start your own thread.

Don't hijack somebody else's thread.

Thanks!

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">